1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HBO Dropped after 31 years

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Ken S, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I'm putting this here because it has to with programming and shows and not DirecTV service. If a mod believes it belongs elsewhere...do what you need to do :)

Anyway, I've been a subscriber to HBO since 1976. I've had it on C-Band, cable, Dish and DirecTV. After Entourage and Flight of the Conchords ended my wife and found we weren't watching it at all. The movie selection had become pitiful as well.

HBO used to show a great selection of movies, both the first-run stuff and then little known movies at off times. But slowly over the past ten years the number of movies has dwindled and while some of their original stuff Oz, Sopranos, Sex in the City, Deadwood, etc has been quite good the actual amount of interesting programming has dropped. Instead they'll replay the same show or movie multiple times across their entire network of channels. I'd love to know what the actual amount in hours of new content is per week. Something tells me it would barely fill 24 hours.

I wonder if they understand that a percentage (probably fairly large) of their audience owns DVRs and really doesn't need all the repeats.

Anyone else think HBO has slid over the years? Disagree?

2. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    I don't watch it much anymore either. I have either seen the movies at the theater, or on DVD.

But The Wire will be up starting January 6th. So I'll be DVR'ing HBO once again.

3. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    The quality of movies has slid as a whole. I can't remember the last time I went to a theatre to see a movie.. gotta be over 10 years ago. And when the free previews are on D*, they may be 1 movie over the entire weekend that I will record and watch.

4. wi6397

wi6397 AllStar

Aug 31, 2007
    I only get HBO for the original stuff and right now there is nothing I'm watching so I have been considering switching to Showtime and watching Weeds, Dexter and several other originals.
    It's too bad that HBO had to stick their nose too deeply into Deadwood that the creator felt like he had to stop making it. I feel that it was becoming better than the Sopranos.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I've had HBO on and off since about 1980 myself. I tend to dump it for 6 months to a year at a time, let them get some new content I care about, then come back.

6. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Is that what happened? I thought the first season of Deadwood was great...and it started to slide after that. It was every bit as good as the Sopranos in the beginning. Great dialog, funny at times and good characters. It made for a good histodrama :)

7. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Ken, you are not alone, as you surmized. I too had HBO in the 70's thru the 80's and 90's. In 2001 I lost interest for a lot of reasons but mainly due to life style changes (retiring from one career; going to school for another). Mrs. Smiddy and I found we rarely watch it since nothing seemed to appeal to us. We had it for the status of having it only (same with Showtime, et al). Perhaps it is due to age on my own part, my likes and dislikes changed.

you have pointed something out though, that begs a question, in a Sex and the City Tone: Is HBO really just another network, but not OTA? If you put commercials on HBO would they appear any different?

Something to think about.

8. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I went a long period without going to a movie theater and then Muvico (www.muvico.com) opened up around us. They make the experience so comfortable and nice even mediocre movies can be enjoyable time out.

9. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    I am dumping it soon. Especially if Dish doesn't give us all the channels in HD, basically I am paying $13.99 a month for one HD channel on which I watch maybe 1 or two movies. I used to watch Sopranos, but now the only other show I watch is the NFL show. But all that isn't worth what I am paying. So as soon as the NFL season is over, bye bye. If Dish adds all the channels in HD, maybe someday I'll think about coming back.

10. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I should say that HBO's Real Sports show is still fairly good...but nothing I'd go out of my way to watch and there are many clones on other channels.

11. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    The decline is not all HBO's fault. As more movie channels have come along, they each have signed contracts with studios that grant them exclusivity, at least for a period of time. This dilutes the content of each channel.

I personally love having all these premiums showing movies, even with the repetition. Movies that I was interested in a year ago may be very different from the ones I'd watch today, and I'm glad for the choices.

12. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    By the way, when I started watching HBO, they didn't sign on till about 3PM. I don't remember what year that was.

They restricted their "R" rated movies to nighttime hours--"HBO will show this movie only at night."

Remember that?

13. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I've actually cancelled my Blockbuster subscription. Knowing we'll have a full compliment of HBO HD and having all of the other HD movie channels, it seems worth waiting a few extra months to see a movie. The PQ is much better than what I can get from a DVD and I refuse to go with HD-DVD or BluRay until one of the formats becomes the "standard".

14. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I was a teenager when The Movie Channel started up. I was so happy to see R rated movies in the afternoon :)

15. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Increase competition, less content available too, I imagine.

There is always two sides to the coin...I had issues with the repeating content.

16. c152driver

c152driver Legend

Jan 21, 2007
    I'm thinking about dropping it, too, when I add the HD Extra Pack. Lately I'm finding myself interested in older movies that I missed the first time around and HDNet Movies is meeting my needs in that area. With the Sopranos gone, 1 HD channel of HDNet Movies at $5 is a better value than 1 HD channel (+ West feed) of HBO at $13.

When their other channels go HD I'll reconsider. I'm also interested in their forthcoming series True Blood, but I haven't heard when that will premiere.

17. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Ironically, with the increasing use of the DVR, HBO and Showtime may become the economic model (premium subscription) for scripted programming as advertisers abandoned network tv shows that aren't sports, reality or contest shows that force you to watch them live in order to be "in the know" at work or school the next day.

For those who didn't watch the various HBO and Showtime series and are amenable to R rated but high quality material, rent the DVD's or subscribe and watch reruns beginning the new year when new episodes of scripted shows disappear from your regular channels. Most of the shows mentioned in this thread are quality productions.

For those of us who watched these shows, HBO and Showtime are facing the same problems with the strike that the "free" networks face.

18. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    The movies were never huge for me, original programming was the reason that I subbed to HBO. I know that my next statement contradicts that, but if I were to sub to a premium channel now, it would be Starz!.

19. pdxsam

pdxsam Godfather

Jun 19, 2004
    That was in the 70's when they first started up. I also remember that Joy by Apollo 100 was on behind a slate that showed the movies for the day. That song repeated about 200 times a day while the slate was up.

20. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Yes, I remember that. I think they would only show those after 10PM.