HBO ends Boxing programs after 45 years

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by jimmie57, Dec 9, 2018.

1. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Did anyone see the HBO fights last night ?
    They discussed the end of Boxing on HBO.

I read a couple of articles and it appears there were 2 reasons for this.
    1. The money it costs to do and that Showtime and ESPN were outbidding them.
    2. They did not feel like subscribers would leave them for dropping the boxing.

2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Did not know HBO been around that long.

Eva likes this.
  3. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    I am not leaving HBO because of it. They have done an outstanding job broadcasting the boxing matches. This may be an AT&T in disguise stunt to save on their over $100 billion dollar debt load. Who knows. In the end - I will wait for the programs return to Home Box Office. Until then - Good bye!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  4. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    I like boxing, but the place of boxing in the order of sports in the USA has been in decline for a very long time. I do not think very many people get HBO because it has boxing on it.

I'm reminded of the speech at the start of the old movie Patton. Among the things he says is something like "everybody knows the toughest boxer". And, in 1942, that certainly was true. It was still true as late as the late 1970s. Today I do not think 3% of adult males could tell you the name of one of the too many sanctioning bodies' heavyweight champions are.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    While it is probably true that boxing is in decline,
    or is it the fact that it is available on quite a few channels now and not just 1 or 2 ?
    Most sports appear to be in decline except for soccer which seems to be gaining more traction as time goes by and people get to see it more on TV.

If you like boxing, which I do, instead of tuning to HBO I will be on Showtime and ESPN for those hours of viewing which in a super small way will lower the viewer hours on HBO unless the come up with more exclusive in house material to fill the void.
    This also could be the start of HBO bringing it's price down to the level of Showtime, etc.

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I like boxing too and have noticed that it is on quite a few channels now. The already mentioned ESPN and Showtime, but also CBSSports, FoxSports and even on broadcast on some more rare occasions. No lack of boxing exists even without HBO having it.

But I got to thinking, HBO is usually around the $15/month subscription fee which is a bit higher than I pay for Netflix and Netflix these days has more originals, much more 4K and Atmos encoded stuff. If I wasn't getting such a sweet deal from my cable company HBO would be subscribed to for about a month a year to binge watch a couple of their truly superb originals.

7. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I wonder how many millions of people have seen HBO boxing matches that were illicitly telecast in barrooms?

HBO began before the cable companies were using geosynchronous satellites. The cable stations would receive VCR tapes and play them themselves.

That shouldn't make much of a difference to boxing fans who feel they HAVE to see specific fights that are only carried by one channel, unlike, say, Saved By The Bell.

People have been predicting that soccer would overtake football as America's Fall team sport for half a century (edit).

Who here knows who won the NCAA Men's soccer championship? Who knows when it was played? Spoiler alert. Make that Spoiler period. It was played LAST NIGHT, broadcast on ESPN-U, but when I looked for a write-up on it on the New York Times and Boston Globe's sites this morning it wasn't on either, and it hadn't even appeared on ESPN's site as of the last time I checked, which was a couple of hours after the game

The Maryland Terps won. Versus unseeded Akron(?). Now here is an easier one, for a soccer game. Guess the final score.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  8. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Score 0-1 -the excitement Never ends

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Better than a tie. :)