HBO Go Will Be Available Without A Cable Subscription In 2015

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by trdrjeff, Oct 15, 2014.

1. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
  2. DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    I don't think that they said that a full featured "HBO Go" service will be what they are offering. It will likely be something different that doesn't quite have the library or a service that forces one to wait a few days after the original broadcast (also HULU) to watch.

1 person likes this.
  3. jerrylove56

jerrylove56 Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    North Alabama
    Interesting. I remember all the negative reaction to EpixHD's business model of providing its content to streaming services.(Netflix, Amazon, etc.) Now, HBO is trying to do the same, albeit as a stand-alone entity. Wonder how this will play with the fan-boys?

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Never forget that Time Warner, Inc. is the owner of HBO. They also own a 50% interest in The CW which already relies upon streaming in its marketing. Since they own Turner Broadcasting System, Inc which includes CNN, HLN, TNT, TBS, The Legal Talk Network, Cartoon Network, Turner Classic Movies, truTV, and Turner Sports, the results from this HBO change likely will affect the company's long term plans for their TV channels generally.

5. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I agree - perhaps an admin can change the title of this thread....

6. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Sweet, now those that just sub cable, satellite for HBO shows like Game of Thrones can dump all the unwanted garbage thats included. This is another step hopefully in the ala carte direction. Many of the milleniums just watch the [SIZE=14.4444446563721px]pirated versions [/SIZE]anyway,[SIZE=14.4444446563721px] maybe now they will sub. Second thought why would they when its free. [/SIZE]

7. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    It is not fan-boys that will be a problem. It will be the next time talks are up for the channels with the providers. On line access digital rights were a major sticking point in more than one negotiation recently.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    There's no way you will get as much from this service for less than what HBO costs through a regular provider. With CBS announcement too people will soon see why a la cart would be so much more expensive.

9. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    One local news broadcast worded this story to make it seem as if HBO were "pulling the plug" entirely and would only be available for streaming and no longer on cable or sat. Didn't make much sense to me (and still wouldn't). I do, however, seem to recall that providers had coerced Starz to remove it's streaming content from Netflix a few yrs ago...

10. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Actually, Starz left Netflix because they wanted to be priced as a separate add on to the regular price, they where pushing tiered plans on Netflix and Netflix said no...

11. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I expect $20. They will not undercut their cable providers. I don't know why anyone thinks they would.

12. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Update: HBO eyes April premiere for its standalone streaming service

(engadget.com) - Reports have been pretty consistent that HBO will offer a direct to consumer streaming option sometime next year. When that might land and what that might look like, however, have been subject to rampant (and usually unfounded) speculation. Today, at least a little more detail is trickling in. The company is currently planning to launch the service, in some capacity in April alongside the premiere of season 5 of Game of Thrones. Though, that timeline is subject to the usual caveats about plans changing and all that jazz.....

Full Story Here

[​IMG]

13. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I think the more interesting element of the story is the decision by HBO to dump its internal effort. The Fortune story is full of office intrigue:

I don't know why at this point anyone would build an internal platform for selling streaming content.

Yes, it will probably cost around the cable "retail" price, more or less the same as I pay now but without having to pay for boxes and ESPN.

14. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I'd expect that too. Right now I'm getting the HBO channels with Verizon FiOS at $10 per month for the next year. That's half the regular price.