HBO GO

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by MysteryMan, Jun 30, 2020.

1. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I received a e-mail today stating "Beginning 31 July 20 the HBO GO App will no longer be available on most devices. This is to notify you that you can sign into HBO Max with your provider credentials just as you did for HBO GO (for no additional cost)."

dtv757 likes this.
  2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Interesting. Is there a Roku or Amazon Fire app for HBO Max yet?

3. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Well technically there is but there isn't a deal yet with either so it hasn't been released.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Yesterday the HBO GO App on my Sony Android TV updated. When it opens there's a message stating "HBO Max is here! On 31 July 20 HBO GO will no longer be available on this device. Download the HBO Max App today and use your DIRECTV email and password to sign in. For help, please visit I have HBO GO. Do I get HBO Max?". Below the message there are two options to select, Download Max and Got It. Selecting Download Max will download and install HBO Max on your device. Selecting Got It will open the HBO GO App.

5. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    With Amazon Fire devices you can sideload the Android TV version of HBO Max onto a Fire TV device and it works very well. You just have to manually sideload the updates until a deal is reached. That link I shared is originally from @b4pjoe and they keep the article up to date with the updates to the HBO Max app.

HBO Max accounts (even those that use provider credentials) can still be used to access HBO Now on Amazon Fire devices & Roku devices until a deal is reached with WarnerMedia. While not a publicized feature does make HBO Go even more redundant. Essentially these are the steps to enable your HBO Max account to access HBO Now on Amazon/Roku:
    • On your desktop to hbomax.com and select "Sign In Through TV or Mobile Provider"
    • Select your provider and enter your credentials (in this example DirecTV)
      • If this is your first time logging into HBO Max finish the initial walk-through to create your HBO Max account
    • Once the homepage has loaded click your profile in the top right hand corner to bring up the settings menu
    • Select the "Accounts" option
      • You should see the fields "First Name", "Last Name" and "Email" pre-filled out from the initial walk-through. There you will see "Password" which should by default display "Add A Password"
    • Click the purple "Edit" button
    • In the "Password" field give your HBO Max account a password. (This could be any password you like. You can have a different password than your provider or the same as your provider. Totally up to you.)
    • After entering your password click "Save"
    Now that your HBO Max account has its own password you can go to HBONow.com (or load the HBO Now apps on Amazon Fire devices & Roku devices) and enter the email address associated with your HBO Max account, the password you just gave your HBO Max account and you will have full access to the HBO Now service at no additional cost.

This way you can use the HBO Now app (which will eventually be re-branded to just HBO) once HBO Go is discontinued at the end of the month. I tested this method out on a Roku Ultra I have and it worked.*

Also next time you have to login to HBOMax.com from a web browser you can still chose to sign in via "Sign In Through TV or Mobile Provider" method or you can just enter your email address and the password you gave your HBO Max account. Either method will now work for you.

*Full disclosure: Last month I converted my first and second TVs to Apple TV 4Ks and my 3rd TV now has my Apple TV HD (4th Gen) I had since the D* Now launch promo. I just keep the Roku Ultra now for testing purposes.*