1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HBO HD: Are 509 and 70 the same channel/transponder/feed ?!?!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JAYPB, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAYPB

JAYPB Legend

May 8, 2002
    Had my wife set up a recording on our HR20 last night on HBO HD for "Blood Diamond" at 8pm. I get home at 9:30 and just happen to flip the TV on and see that indeed, the receiver IS recording 509---but the screen is black...and I'm unable to "start" the recording from the beginning or get trick play to work AT ALL. On the other tuner "Stranger than Fiction" is recording from StarzHD...so I didn't want to try and reboot the receiver. I checked channel 70--and that feed of HBO HD is accessible and fine....but 509 stayed black until at least 10pm when I checked it again. I turned the TV off and decided to check it this AM.

Well, it's this AM...and I thought maybe if I rebooted the receiver the recording would "be there"---as some of my previous recordings have been unavailable when I went to watch them...but when I rebooted the HR20 they were "there"-=--but no luck in this case.

This HR20 had been having 771 errors for months---but none since I put some new BBC's on it a few months ago...and I recently moved it from one room to another after I had an HR21 hooked up. In addition, one of the OTA tuners is starting to pixelate---most notably on my local NBC-HD feed.

I'm sure I could call up and have D* replace this HR20 under the protection plan--but I'm leery of receiving an HR21 in return...and I do have a bunch of recordings on this unit now--but these *little* issues are starting to piss me off.

So--my question: Are the transponder/signal for 70/509 not both MPEG2? WTF was my receiver experiencing that 70 was there...and 509 was "not". When I went to watch the recording this AM I IMMEDIATELY got the "Do you want to delete this recording now" message in the bottom RH corner of the screen...but the on screen info showed "2:30" duration....yet I know that there was NO signal available at all during this whole time period. Also, 509 AND 70 were viewable this AM.

I don't know if this had anything to do with one tuner recording off of StarzHD and the same time the other tuner was recording MPEG2 programming. Most of my recording so far on this unit has been my wife recording OTA stuff.

Anyone else have any of the mapped channels from the "70's" NOT available in their normal channel range---or vice versa ?!?!?

Thanks

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yes, they're the same transponder/feed. A channel authorization problem might cause these symptoms, though. It's working now, right?

3. mbuser

mbuser Godfather

Jul 6, 2006
    Yes, both channels are supposed to map to the same transponder. It could have been a mapping problem on DirecTV's end that they resolved. There should not be a physical reason within the receiver to cause that.

Pixelation on your off-the-air tuner is most likely an antenna problem. I don't think you can blame the HR20 for that one.

Good luck.

4. JAYPB

JAYPB Legend

May 8, 2002
    It's working now on both channels/feeds---and has been fine everytime I've checked today.

Last night as the unit was recording off of 509 it showed the recording in the List with an "R" next to it----but I COULD NOT get it to "start" playing from the beginning when I tried to use the trick play functions...and I couldn't rewind back---and there was NO on screen message (i.e. 721, 771, Channel Not Available, etc...). When I tried to change the channel, it noted that I was recording that channel (as well as STARZHD)--and the StarzHD recording *seems* fine--though I haven't sat down to watch what I recorded in it's entirety yet.

On my 10-250, I believe I don't have 509 selected as one of the "channels I receive"--but obviously I can't do that (yet) on the HR20/21...so I *tried* not to chastise my wife for recording off of 509 vs 70......:hurah:

5. JAYPB

JAYPB Legend

May 8, 2002
    I've switched RG6's from the TV's internal tuner to the HR20's OTA input numerous times....and have yet to have an issue with ANY OTA channels on the TV's input---but no matter what I do I get pixelation on OTA broadcasts when I'm recording on NBC.

I don't seem to be smart enough yet to figure out which tuner is which recording which channel---is there a way to do this ?!?! (i.e Tuner 1 is recording 509 and Tuner 2 is recording 520 at any given time ?!!) I think we notice the issue with our NBC OTA recordings because my wife and I seem to watch a LOT of NBC stuff on nights when we are recording 2 things at once . That would at least help me pin down if there's an issue with a certain tuner.

I NEVER had this problem with my recently disconnected 10-250....NEVER. I didn't have an OTA antenna hooked up to the HR20 when I had it in the basement (before moving it to its current location) so I have no way of knowing if the issue existed from the beginning. But, judging from what I've read on this board, I'm more inclined to believe the issue is one of the HR20's OTA tuners vs my wiring/antenna setup....especially since this antenna not only feeds the TV that the HR20 is hooked up to....but another HDTIVO as well where I have no problems along these lines.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Do you get your local stations in HD via satellite (are they available to you)? If so, using the stallite feed for NBC should resolve the problem with OTA.

As to OTA working on the TV and not on the HR20, most people feel the HR20 does not have as good an OTA tuner as do most TV sets. It especially seems to be very sensitive to multipath (reflected signals). Because of that, very minor adjustments to your OTA antenna can make a significant difference in the HR20's OTA reception. If you have not tried antenna adjustments, that may help resolve your OTA reception of your NBC station.

Carl

7. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    501 is also mapped to the same transponder. They do the same thing with Showtime (71, 537, 543). I imagine that when they finally replace all the legacy H10, HR10, etc., receivers they will settle down to a single channel number.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, at some point the mirroring will end and everything will be MPEG4.

9. Huey

Huey Mentor

Oct 7, 2006
    I was going to ask a similar question. My situation is a little different. I started watching Return of the Jedi on 70 last night, and it had horrible breakups. Switched to 509, and it had no breakups what so ever. I wish I would have thought to try 501.

What could it be? Maybe a tuner issue? I wish you could swap between tuners like the old 10-250. Any suggestions?
    Rob

10. JAYPB

JAYPB Legend

May 8, 2002
    I think I'm going to call D* and ask for a replacement to be sent out for this HR20. Over the last 3 days, at least 4 times my wife called me to tell me that when she went to put 299 (Nick) on for the kids (but it's the HD 299) nothing but a black (or gray) screen appeared. Last night I sat down to check my Playlist---and 5 different OTA recordings (3 on NBC, 1 on CBS and 1 on ABC) were listed---but there was no video for it. When I pressed the recordings to play them, the "Do you want to delete" message popped up--for all of them. Thinking that a RBR would "bring them back" (as I've read on this forum before), when the unit rebooted there was NOTHING there--the recordings weren't even in the playlist anymore!

Also, the other AM I tried tuning in 547 (Flix--and SD channel) and I got the grey screen. I had to leave for work so I didn't have the time to futz around with a RBR or signal strength checks.

It's my personal feeling that one of the tuners is bad-- as a few other recordings that were made OPPOSITE the "dead" recordings were fine--and played back normally. At this point I have neither the time nor the inclination to dick around with the box anymore--and I'm just thankful that everything is in re-runs now---or I'd be supremely pi$$ed off.

The HR21 I have running off the same multiswitch/dish hasn't shown these issues. And as per my earlier posts in this thread, the issue has happened both on SD channels, new HD channels and OTA channels.

My main question is: Has anyone received an HR21 to replace a bad HR20 under the protection plan--as I'm not ready to give up my OTA local recording ability both from a picture quality issue (i'm sorry, here in the NYC area I CAN see a difference b/t my OTA channels and the MPEG4 HD locals) and the fact that D* doesn't have PBS (yet) or WB/UPN up--in addition to the fact that I can rotate my antenna and pick up Philly locals as well.

11. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    If you specifically state that you still need off-air reception, DirecTV should replace your HR20 with another HR20. That's supposed to be the policy anyway.

12. Geekzilla

Geekzilla AllStar

Jun 10, 2007
    Is your HR20 properly ventilated? The reason I ask is I started experiencing this same behavior after stacking 2 HR20's directly on top of each other. Then just by opening and closing the glass door to the cabinet a few times to circulate the air the top HR20 would spontaneously tune the channel again without a reset or even changing the channel. I'll be rearranging my system this weekend for proper airflow.

13. JAYPB

JAYPB Legend

May 8, 2002
    Thanks for the reply. I'll have to give it a go tonight. What's their policy on replacements for HD DVR's: Will they do a straight drop ship (Fedex) for a replacement HR** or do they still need to have a tech come out? I LOVE telling my wife to stay home from 12-4 and then have no one show up......:nono:

14. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I think they'll ship you a replacement directly. No need for an installer. But be sure to ask when you call.

15. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    i have problems with the hr20 and the 110 (where Hbo is). It's only on tuner 2 though and nothing will fix it.. HDtivo has no issue with the 110

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.