1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HBO HD Picture Quality

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Grafixguy, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    Has anyone else noticed a marked decrease in picture quality on HBO in the last few months?

Boardwalk Empire with its many dimly lit scenes is horrific. The artifacting is quite noticeable on both my 62" DLP and a 30" CRT.

HR22 and HR23 receivers.

2. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Looks fine here. All of the HBO's look good. But I have read here that others are less than enamored with HBO PQ.

3. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    There have been a few posts about it and yes, I see it too.

4. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    I just resub'd for boardwalk empire. I'm watching on a calibrated 58" and I think some of it's flaws are just the way the show is. Some movies look pretty good, but I think HBO could do better. None of em top espn when it comes to issues.

5. hidef2010

hidef2010 AllStar

Jul 28, 2010
    I too have noticed HBO PQ not being quite what it was, at least up to 3 months ago. I have a fully calibrated Pioneer Kuro 60", viewed from 8'...... if there is something wrong with the PQ this set will show it. I especially notice a poorer PQ on HBO CH # 501 (East I believe). As for "Boardwalk Empire" I find the show a little soft but that could be the way it was shot!!
    I don't think the PQ problem is inherent in the source ie. the way the film was original shot. I do believe it maybe the way HBO is passing on this signal to D*. Or even some compressing/manipulating of the signal on D*'s part, its hard to say who is at fault.
    I say this becuase when you see a show like "Bill Maher" on the same Ch# the PQ is quite good.

Hidef2010

6. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    A lot of it is the way it is shot. If you look at syfy for example, haven looks real bad, but sanctuary looks real good. Everything spike does regarding Ufc looks great, but espn varies greatly. I don't think one should use an original series to determine pq, but if you have a before and after movie you can compare. One can't even compare true blood vs boardwalk, strictly because of choices made during filming and editing. Just look at how bad some blu rays look.

7. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    HBO HD looks awful to me no matter what I'm watching if there's any dark scenes at all. I just used Boardwalk Empire as an example.

8. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Im going to agree. Now that Im a full time sub to it, and have watched a few movies, they have issues, or Directv does.

What I see, in large areas of sky, or walls, or facial closeups, is a pulse between a somewhat sharp image, then blur/grain, and its a continuing cycle, of blur/sharp/blur/sharp. Seeing it on boardwalk, and just about every move yesterday (Spiderman looked BAD at times). On the flip side, flip over to Syfy or MGMHD for a movie, and they looked pristine.

This is at 8.5 ft, on a 58" plasma. It seems, that when I described this for a local CBS issue, I was told it was an encoder problem. I'll classify HBO with ESPN, as much as you charge *********, fix the PQ.

9. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Nothing has changed in how it has been broadcast....same settings today as months ago.

10. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Like I said, Im a pretty new sub, so Ive just really seen it. There is an issue, somewhere, with something. Syfy should not be able to top HBO on PQ, IMO. When a Roger Moore James Bond on MGMHD, looks better than Spiderman in HD on HBO, there is an issue.

11. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I agree, the alternating blur/sharp/blur/sharp drove me nuts. That's why I dumped HBO (along with other premiums, even though there PQ is fine) & use "other means" ;) to watch their original shows the next day. The PQ of what I watch doesn't go blur/sharp/blur/sharp at all.

12. studdad

studdad Icon

Aug 11, 2008
    Well you might want to have the "powers that be" look into this, regardless of whether or not the "settings" have changed. I used to have Showtime and Starz, and both looked MUCH better than HBO. I eventually got rid of both Showtime and Starz, as I got tired of the same movies for months on end, but subscribed to HBO for True Blood. Was going to quit after True Blood, but then got interested in Boardwalk, so kept it. But I see the same issues that everyone else sees here. While you are bringing this up to the "powers that be", do you mind asking them when they plan on adding some national basic channels to that brand new satellite they got hanging up there in the air? Some AMC and BBCA would be a good start.

13. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    I agree on the powers that be looking into it. We are paying $14/month.

14. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    No problems with HBO here.

15. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    I always love these posts.

16. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I'm not denying anyone's claims. Just stating where I'm located on my system the picture quality on HBO is fine.

17. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    I still have an issue. How can your HBO PQ be "fine", when many, in a few forums, have noticed the same issue? I guess it comes down to how my Dad thinks LCD torch mode is "fine". I'm probably just overly frustrated from the people that are "happy" with ESPN PQ and it's recent debate on a few sites.

HBO, and/or Directv has a problem. Need to ask some Dish subs and see how it looks for them.

18. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    To add a little more data, to anyone who might have a way to push some investigation, during Spiderman, in the burning building scenario, scenes with large amount of fire on the screen had tremendous pixellation.

And Mysteryman, like I said, Im not pointing at you in the previous post, Im just frustrated by companies that charge a premium, and dont seem to care about PQ.

I think after boardwalk is over, Im gonna drop them. For $168/yr, I can just buy their TV series on Blu-ray.

Prob a better way for me to describe it, is like the PQ pulse when a Roku goes from SD to HD, while streaming from Amazon VOD.

19. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Hey, I agree. A few days ago there was a "blinking" problem with WGN. Last month there was a problem with Encore HD. All I'm saying is there are times the problems are universal and times they are isolated. And as the saying goes "the more complex you make something the greater the possibility something can and will go wrong".

20. R0am3r

R0am3r Legend

Sep 20, 2008
    While watching a Harry Potter movie on HBOW-HD yesterday, the picture was terrible. If you watched the scenes closely, you could see it oscillate between great picture quality to scenes riddled with artifacts. This oscillation would occur every few seconds. I validated that this problem existed on two different receivers and two different LCD TVs. Signal strength on my Slimline-3 is mid 90s. Overall, the quality was terrible.