HBO offer

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by powerhouse1960, May 10, 2020.

1. powerhouse1960

powerhouse1960 Cool Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Friend said he seen a commercial on about a offer of hbo for 10:00 a month for a year on directv cant find anything on did he miss hear this?

2. phipsi571

phipsi571 Mentor

Jun 10, 2006
    I saw the same thing. I might sign up at that price.

3. phipsi571

phipsi571 Mentor

Jun 10, 2006
    I didn’t see anything online, I tried to do a chat, but there was a 30 minute wait.

4. Dishdude714

Dishdude714 New Member

Dec 2, 2019
    I saw the commercial. I'm thinking about it myself, it does come with HBO max so that's a nice plus

5. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Last month I got the deal, only catch to get it for $9.99, was 12 months contract with HBO.

6. HD Man

HD Man Cool Member

Jan 31, 2006
    I called the 531-5000 number trying to get the $9.99/mo HBO offer and after 30 min of searching, agent said that offer was not available and it would cost $17.99 mo. Told her I just saw offer on CNN but she couldn't find it.
    What a waste of time...

7. heidic

heidic Cool Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I tried to sign up for that too, and was told I was not eligible because I had already received an HBO promotion recently. (I had cancelled HBO 2 months prior, when a $9.99 discounted price expired.)

So instead, I signed up for HBO Max directly from the source, at a pre-order price of $11.99/ month, good for a year, with no commitment required. That offer is still valid for anyone who wants it. I find streaming slightly less convenient than having my selected programs show up on the DVR, but the $6/month savings is well worth it.

8. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    AT&T's press release about HBO Max did mention once HBO Max launches there would be a 3 month free offer available for HBO for video subscribers which includes HBO Max. With it being so close to the launch of HBO Max they probably stripped the systems of current HBO offers for new HBO subscribers in preparation of the launch of HBO Max so by the time May 27th rolls around the free trial offer would be there.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  9. CaldwellDan

CaldwellDan New Member

Apr 27, 2017
    I saw the 9.99 promo on house hunters a couple weeks ago. Tried 800 531-5000 the next day. Got nowhere. After a long call to retention/loyalty, they finally made good on their offer.

HBOMAX is another story. Was on the line for over 3 hours with "tech" support, after 30 minutes with loyalty, no luck. They said it's a problem with their password server. HBOMAX doesn't think the product is part of my package. They insist once I get my password changed, it will work. Password server must still be having issues. I still get errors when I try to change password.

I'm trying to find others with same issue...

10. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I ran into a password issue too. My DirecTV/ATT password is less than 8 characters. HBO Max requires your password to be at least 8 characters. When I used my DirecTV sign on option it redirected me to an ATT page where it wanted my ATT password (less than 8 characters) and that worked but when I tried to used by ATT login on the HBO Max app on my Apple TV it failed saying the password had to be at least 8 characters. I went to the HBO Max website and it had already created an account for me during the 'sign on with tv provider' thing that I did initially and logged me in but with no password. So in the HBO Max account I added an 8 character password and then went back to my Apple TV and logged in with my username (same for both DirecTV/ATT and HBO Max) and my 8 character password for HBO Max and it then worked.

Not sure if that is the same issue that you had but that is what I had to do.

11. CaldwellDan

CaldwellDan New Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the information

I was using an eight character password. Since nothing was working, I changed it, again to one with 8 characters. Still no love. Nosing around on a Google search, bunches of people are still stuck in the same boat that I'm in. I'm in no mood for another marathon phone session with ATT\DTV. I'm going to try the existing credentials a couple more times today and maybe call them again tomorrow...

Thanks again.

:)

12. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    HBO Max launched without Roku and Amazon Fire as available platforms.
    Was it issues over the carriage agreements, as is being reported?
    Or was it HBO's decision to space out its launch in fear of it's servers being crushed on opening day like Disney Plus?
    Both Roku and Amazon say they are ready to activate HBO Max "within minutes" of an agreement being signed.

syphix likes this.
  13. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I read yesterday Amazon and Roku both want to use their video channels for HBO Max and AT&T wants everyone to use the HBO Max app only to access its content. I don't think it is a coincidence that Apple TV has the app and has agreed to discontinue their channel for HBO.

14. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Prior to the launch of HBO Max here is how an HBO subscription would have worked on Apple devices:
    • HBO on Apple TV Channels: $14.99/mo - Access to HBO East and HBO West linear feeds and all HBO Now content available within the Apple TV app. No access to HBO Now or HBO Go included. Shared across six devices via Family Share. You could only use this HBO subscription on devices that support the Apple TV app.
    • HBO Now with In-App Subscription: $14.99/mo - Apple bills for your subscription individual HBO Now account - Same features as a standalone direct billed HBO Now account. You could use this subscription on any device that supported HBO Now but was limited to 3 concurrent streams at one time.
    Here is how an Prime Video Channels subscription works in comparison:
    • HBO on Amazon Prime Video Channels: $14.99/mo in addition to a Prime Video subscription or a Prime membership - Access to the East coast feeds of all seven HBO linear channels plus HBO West, all HBO content available on demand within the Prime video app and access to HBO Now included by logging in with Amazon Prime Video credentials. (This subscription is compatible with any device compatible with the Prime Video app and any device supporting HBO Now.)
      • Prior to the launch of HBO Max on the Android TV platform, Amazon was able to allow their customers to login to HBO Now while initially blocking then new Android TV devices like the MiBox from using the Amazon Prime Video app until Amazon and the manufacturer Xiaomi worked out a deal.
    The original 9to5Mac article makes the assumption that HBO left the Apple TV Channels lineup however its sibling Cinemax is still available. The Verge reports more objectively on the matter while reporting on the whole Amazon-HBO Max dispute as a whole.

Unless confirmed I will never rule out the possibility HBO leaving Apple TV Channels but at the same time this isn't out of Apple's MO. Apple overall is about simplicity and will often eliminate things on its own that is seen as "confusing" or conflicts with its goal of a simplified user experience. The HBO Max app supports integration from Day 1 with the Apple TV app in the same way as Hulu and Disney+ supports the Apple TV app on their own hardware without Apple TV Channels integration.

I believe Apple would rather discontinue HBO channel subscriptions for new customers than explain why they could view Watchmen within the Apple TV app but then the Apple TV app opened HBO Max for them to watch Love Life despite having an HBO Apple TV Channels subscription. They would rather grandfather existing HBO Apple TV Channels subscribers and have potential new HBO Max subscribers go the In-App monthly subscription route billed through the Apple App Store. Apple does not like conflict.

Apple still gets % of HBO Max's subscription revenue regardless if the customer chooses to subscribe via the Apple TV Channels program or via an In-App monthly subscription billed by the Apple App Store. Which is why I think it could be an either or situation or a mutual decision between the two.

Amazon's statement they have been giving to the press clearly points out the issue is with the "Max content" portion (what Amazon is referring to as the "expanded catalog") being exclusive to the HBO Max app and website. They are trying to spin the matter off as they are the "good guys" and AT&T is essentially the "bad guys" in the scenario. Essentially bringing the channel negotiation disputes from legacy pay-TV to the streaming realm. Pretty much this is Amazon's statement:

When you break down this statement from Amazon and filter out the doublespeak you can clearly see what Amazon's issue is:

The "Max content" or what Amazon refers to as the "expanded catalog" is their issue. It is not a matter of losing their ability to sell HBO as part of the Prime Video Channels service. Clearly they want the Max content to be dis-aggregated into the Prime Video app so they can still get the analytics data from that content first. WarnerMedia wants all the "Max content" viewed from the HBO Max app and website to the point they are not even making it available via on demand through traditional MVPDs like DirecTV and Comcast.

This is where the doublespeak portion of their statement is coming into play. WarnerMedia is making no changes to how customers pay for their HBO subscriptions and Amazon are being vague here about what this entails. All other distributors who have reached agreements for HBO Max have not changed anything about the billing for existing HBO subscribers. (Except for AT&T who lowered the price on D* to $14.99 but that is a positive rather than a negative.) What does Amazon mean about this? Do they mean watching the new content through their Prime Video app again? Very vague statement here.

For example here is the most basic configuration from Hulu with HBO Max:
    • Hulu (ad-supported tier) $5.99/mo + HBO Max add-on $14.99/mo - Includes HBO only content on demand, linear feeds of HBO, HBO 2, HBO Signature, HBO Family, HBO Comedy, HBO Zone, HBO Latino (all East & West), HBO Max access included (requires HBO Max app to view Max Only content)
    Anyone on Hulu (regardless of tier) who was paying them for HBO before is still paying them for HBO now they just got upgraded to HBO Max.

So until Amazon comes out with a more clarified statement about the situation to me their squabble (and Roku's) is about WarnerMedia wanting the "Max content" being treated as content from Netflix, Hulu and Disney+ which means being exclusively available within its own app and not through Amazon Prime Video app and The Roku Channel respectively.

AT&T/WarnerMedia seems content with making the HBO linear feeds and the "HBO content" available through existing distribution methods (with Apple TV Channels now being the one unique oddity).

Amazon and Roku's HBO subscribers would get access to the "Max content" at no additional cost but they would just have to watch it through the HBO Max app just like everyone else from DirecTV to Xfinity, from Hulu to AT&T TV Now, etc. No reason Prime Video Channels-HBO subscribers and Roku Channels-HBO subscribers should get special treatment over Hulu-HBO and existing Apple TV Channels-HBO subscribers IMO.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    syphix likes this.
  15. CaldwellDan

CaldwellDan New Member

Apr 27, 2017
    HBOMAX finally let me in this morning. It also created an account for me during the sign in process, like you describe.

Thanks again for your input.