HBO's DeadWood???

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by gulfwarvet, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Dec 4, 2007 #1 of 26
    gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    does anyone have any updates for it? or is it another one that bit the dust?

2. Dec 4, 2007 #2 of 26
    SAlBO

SAlBO Icon

Jan 6, 2007
    sadly, its gone......

3. Dec 4, 2007 #3 of 26
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    It seems very unlikely that the movies will ever be filmed - everything I've read indicates that the 3 movies that were to close things out have been shelved. That is if they were ever really planned at all.

4. Dec 4, 2007 #4 of 26
    bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    Milch screwed up huge. His walking away is what killed Deadwood, and he had walked to do John from Cincinatti. JfC was not well accepted and frankly was just disappointing in a lot of ways. So, in order to make a dud of a show, Milch killed a hit show for HBO and now there's virtually no chance that Deadwood will ever come back, even in movie form to wrap things up :mad: and :(

5. Dec 4, 2007 #5 of 26
    gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    WOW, that's a huge bummer :(
    i really enjoyed the show, even tho i didn't care so much for the profanity that was used as the native language.

6. Dec 5, 2007 #6 of 26
    SWORDFISH

SWORDFISH Legend

Apr 16, 2007

That is not quite how things happened.

HBO canceled Deadwood, stated season 3 would be the last, released the actors and told them they were free to explore other opportunities.

Milch then tried to raise money by himself to film season 4.

After pressure from Deadwood fans, HBO offered Milch a six episode season 4.

Milch said he could not properly conclude the series in six episodes and refused the offer.

HBO and Milch then agreed on two movies to conclude the series.
    Now it appears they will never be filmed.

Since the demise of JFC, Milch has been working on a police drama about a Viet Nam vet who becomes a New York City cop. The show will air on HBO.

SF

7. Dec 5, 2007 #7 of 26
    budeone

budeone Mentor

Aug 19, 2007
    That was a great show and could have kept the story going on for a long time.

8. Dec 5, 2007 #8 of 26
    DishDog

DishDog ke6cdn

Nov 10, 2006
    San Diego Area
    I really miss Al. What a great villain.

9. Dec 5, 2007 #9 of 26
    Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Jinx!

10. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    Not so much villian as anti-hero.

11. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    But was he a villain? :)

12. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Wow ... something freaky just happened! bdowell and I each responded at 11:01 PM ET, I saw his response, and I posted "Jinx!" after I saw bdowell's post.

Yet the "Jinx!" post is showing up at 11:00 PM, prior to me seeing two posts at 11:01 PM ...

Cue the Twilight Zone music!

13. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    <soap geek>
    I remember the first time I ever saw "Al", he was stealing Sue Ellen from JR on Dallas. :)
    </soap>

14. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    LOL at the jinx-ed comments above, but it does seem that Drew2k saw things as I did. Al was villianous perhaps, but his character was all about what was best for himself and for the camp (later the town). Over the course of the series he seemed to care much more about the camp (town) than perhaps himself, but I think it was always in relation to improving his standing and power.

Having the Hearst character in the camp gave Al the chance to be much less villianous and much more heroic (turning him into that anti-hero). By the time things were ending on the series (way too early :( ) we were rooting for Al much like perhaps we rooted for Tony Soprano, who was clearly not the nicest guy but still was someone we cared about a lot.

15. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    BTW, I really do like Ian McShane a lot as an actor, but recently watched the movie Hot Rod, which had McShane in it. He should be ashamed of that role, not because he didn't do his best in it, but because the movie was just downright pathetic and just barely above horrible.

I have seen McShane in a few other things though, and would go out of my way to watch him in roles that I can catch him in. He is very good, and typically brings a lot of drama to his roles.

Actually a different movie, also different in type, that I could recommend for fans of McShane - Nine Lives. A series of stories brought together as one big movie. McShane plays a part in one of the segments therein and does a great job at it. :up: x 3

16. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    According to TVLine Deadwood Reunion Movie 'Is Going to Happen,' Promises HBO President:

Now i just have to live long enough to see it. After all, this thread was started 8 years ago. :sure:

17. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
  18. Jaspear

Jaspear Godfather

May 16, 2004
    From phrelin's link:

The final scene of the final episode of season three, wherein we see George Hearst leaving Deadwood in a stage coach, is perhaps the biggest pregnant pause in the history of television. And Michael Lombardo thinks there a 'palpable sense' of something left unsaid? Good grief! What was his first clue?

He added “I’ve known him (Milch) for a while and it feels like it’s something he’s not done talking about.” I dunno, you think Michael?

And I thought Chris Albrecht was bad. :)

19. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    This would be beyond awesome.

Profanity aside [ when binge-watching the DVD's, the profanity is almost common placed] It is one of the top series ever.

Question is, can they get the main characters together again?

20. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    I tried to watch it a few times but found the profanity very distracting and unrealistic. I say good riddance...

1 person likes this.