1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hd Access Fee

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jason williams, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason williams

jason williams AllStar

Jan 24, 2007
    Has the $10 HD access fee that was waived for 2 years started yet? Is there any way to get out of paying it? I will have to downgrade my service to make up for this if it starts again. Is the $54.99 entertainment package available?

2. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Asking blanket questions probably won't help you get the answers you need.

There are some promotions out there for HD Access however most of them revolve around new customer offers now.

You would have to get SD equipment to replace your HD equipment. This will probably be more expensive then keeping HD service for the term of your agreement.

Entertainment has been available since February.

With all of that said it doesn't mean that any of these are an option to you depending on your account. Unless you might be willing to forgo discounts or promotions you might currently have.

3. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Why ask us when you could call Directv and get an answer from them??? :)

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    And possibly receive more discounts. I called the other day to downgrade packages due to financial reasons and received $50 off for 6 months.

5. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Does NOT apply if he's in an MPEG4 market... ;) ;)

6. jason williams

jason williams AllStar

Jan 24, 2007
    I think I will switch to comcast or dish because they don't rip you off for this fee to pad your bill..Even directv does not charge new customers for life for this..It is a way of ripping off their most loyal and long time customers.

7. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    It depends on when you started. Mine will run out soon. I have seen reports of some being able to renew it.

The entertainment package has been available for a few months now (I have it).

To be fair, many companies charge extra for HD. DirecTV always has. They only waived it to compete with Dish's HD Free For Life a few years ago. My cable company (Charter) also charges for HD.

If it makes you feel any better, you can get the HD Extra pack for free in perpetuity if you add and drop it every 3 months.

If you keep DirecTV, please let us know if you are successful in getting the HD fee waived again.

Good luck

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    At one point there was an HD Technology fee. I saw references to this in 2011.You might not actually see it on the bill, but unless something changed, they charge $17 per HD DVR.

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson

You may not see it as a separate line item on a comcast or dish bill, but you're still paying it.....

10. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I pay a $20 fee I think that covers HD, DVR service and Whole Home Dvr service but I get a $10 AUTOPAY credit, so I think everyone can get the autopay credit.

11. jimbop99

jimbop99 New Member

Sep 4, 2008
    I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to let everyone know that I just received an email automaticly renewing my 2 years of free HD. Wow!

12. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Me too. It looks like those who got it when it was first offered (2 years ago), as long as they maintain the same conditions, should receive an email confirmation soon with a 2 year "renewal" of the hd access fee being free.

Nice to see!

We got our email this morning at 9:16 a.m.

13. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Ditto, that was a pleasant surprise.

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I just got that too, but not sure it is a renewal of the free HD. I believe a few months ago, someone else posted about this and received word that it was just a marketing e-mail stating that we have the 2 year free HD promo. It turned out that the marketing department was a little behind the times in getting the e-mails out.

- Merg

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    With respect to DISH, you pay the same monthly fees whether you have HD or SD.

16. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    That's because the "HD Fee" is spread out so that all DISH customers pay for it with higher monthly prices, higher DVR/Receiver fees, etc. It's in there, you just don't see it.

17. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Not in every situation.

18. rene_hernandez88

rene_hernandez88 Cool Member

Jun 3, 2012
    If you didn't get it, you get it for free with automatic payment. =]

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There are a very few exceptions.

20. jappleboy

jappleboy AllStar

Apr 2, 2010
    I you hate sports get dish. All company's are going to get the same out of you, higher dvr fees, less than good PQ, part time HD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.