1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Access ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by captaink5217, Jul 30, 2012.

1. captaink5217

captaink5217 Legend

Sep 20, 2011
    I have an HD DVR and 2 HD receivers, if I want to go down to base requirement family plan 29.99 without HD access can I do that with an HD receiver or will they have me send the HD receivers and send me an SD receiver? I don't want HD access just family plan to meet the requirements so I don't get charged an ETF

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I don't believe you can have HD boxes without HD access, even if it's credited back. The only possible exception is if you're in an MPEG 4 market for locals, those require HD boxes, so everyone has one, even SD customers. I'm not sure if HD Access is on their account and credited back, or it's done a different way.

The only market in PA that I know of that is MPEG 4 is Erie.

3. captaink5217

captaink5217 Legend

Sep 20, 2011
    But if you didn't want HD access do you know if they would exchange an HD receiver for an SD receiver?

4. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    would have to pay a lease fee for the std boxes

5. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    I have been in homes with HD receivers with the HD access turned off, they didn't have to send the boxes back and wern't in an MPEG4 market. They just take that part of the programing off your account. (They might not have been under contract)

Your best bet would be to call DirecTv explain your situation and ask.

6. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Owned receivers are eligible to have the HD Access fee removed after 12 months. If it's a leased receiver you have to keep it active. Now that's not saying that people didn't get someone to remove it that shouldn't but then you also see the posts about how someone never paid for HD Access and then it magically shows up. I'm guessing the latter is what happened with the people you know.

There are now measures that are systemic that will stop this and automatically correct it.

The only way to not pay HD Access at this time, permanently, is to not have MPEG 4 equipment unless required due to DMA.

7. captaink5217

captaink5217 Legend

Sep 20, 2011
    Will they replace my HD equipment with SD I just need to have 1 receiver.

8. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    there would be an upgrade charge and new commitment. You don't say why you are trying to just ride out your commitment, so I can't speak to that, but it might be better to just bite the bullet and disconnect if you can't have DTV.

9. danpeters

danpeters AllStar

Aug 25, 2005
    Johnstown/Altoona PA is also an MPEG4 market.

10. captaink5217

captaink5217 Legend

Sep 20, 2011
    Well cost mainly I usually share the cable and internet bills with my in laws, we're in the same house mother daughter house but they decided to stay with their cable on there tv's so now it's gonna be a hard bill to swing once my discounts roll off I was thinking of going back with them for cable again and splitting the bill. Of course I could always wait until the monthly bill is about the same as the etf so then it won't make a difference.