1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hd atenna

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by jerd23, Jan 16, 2010.

1. jerd23

jerd23 New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    can i hook up a hd atenna to my vip211 to receive my local sub channels in hd?

2. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Yes.

3. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Except that you don't need to look for a special "HD" antenna -- just UHF and/or VHF to pick up the stations' broadcast RF channels -- and most sub-channels are SD rather than HD.

Check www.tvfool.com and www.antennaweb.org for size and pointing recommendations.

If you've enabled the DVR conversion ($40 + your external drive) you'll be able to record from satellite and OTA at the same time.

4. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    +1

On the don't look for the Special HD Antenna. Depending on your locals and were they are at, you may need a UHF or a Combo UHF/VHF antenna, or one of each. If you have locals in the VHF, see if they are LOW VHF(2-6) or High VHF(7-13). I don't have any stations that transmit in the 2-6 range.
    Now don't get confused with channel number vs Transmitter, here channel 7 is UFH channel 39 and channel 6 is tranmitted on UHF69. Both TV Fool and Antennaweb will help you out.

Here in Carlsbad,CA, because of were the UHF stations are located and were the 2 VHF stations are at, I use 1 UHF and I VHF antenna.
    For UHF I use a DB4(UHF spectrum (Channels 14-69)
    and for VHF I use, a Clearstream5 (frequencies (Ch 7-13)
    There wasn't a VHF/UHF combo antenna I could use do to tranmitter locations.

5. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    Is an OTA module needed? Or is that the difference between Vip 211 and Vip211k?

6. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    "K" recievers of all models require a OTA module.

7. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    The 211 and 211k both have one built-in OTA tuner. The k is in a smaller case and runs different software but is operationally the same.

The optional module is only for the 222k, 722k and future 922.

8. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Thanks Boba, didn't realize that. I see a k and automaticly think module for OTA.