1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD box used on Round dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by tal35, Oct 22, 2009.

1. tal35

tal35 New Member

Oct 22, 2009
    A friend of mine just got setup for HD, but tried to put a couple of the boxes out in his shop which has round 18" standard dual lnb's. What does he need to set the receivers to? round dish? Does he need to do anything else to make it work?

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    To have full use of the HD boxes, your friend MUST have a Slimline dish of some sort.

Note that DIRECTV frowns on customers moving their receivers around; especially when the customer reports a problem and the equipment isn't connected to the right kind of equipment.

3. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    He needs to set up the receivers with a round 18" dish (option 1, I believe), but as already been stated, without the Slimline dish he will not get any HD programming.:)

4. tal35

tal35 New Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Can he get standard programming though? I know he said that the screen told him to call in due to changes in the dish,but he didnt want to get in trouble for it.

5. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    So it sounds like your friend's shop is somewhere other than his home. If that's the case then it's against the TOS. If not then he just needs to call.

6. Flugelman

Flugelman Legend

Nov 20, 2007
    No problem. Just will only get SD feeds from 101. I do it all the time in my motorhome when we're just doing a 1 or 2 nighter and don't want to go to the trouble to set up the Slimline. I have an A-B switch with BBC connected on the rooftop side. Run the reciever reset and select the 18" round dish. The IRD will reset itself, download the guide info from 101 and away you go.