HD DirecTV for RV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Cole Erskine, Aug 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Cole Erskine

Cole Erskine New Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Ten years ago I bought the Winegard SK-3005 Trav'ler for stationary HD DirecTV. It was great.

I just bought a new RV, and it seems that the Winegard Trav'ler (SK-SWM3 now) is still the only mountable HD solution for DirecTV in RVs. It's just too big for my new Class B+.

Any other solutions on the horizon for DirecTV? Or is it time to move to DISH and the Playmaker?

Thanks in advance!

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    You'd have to call Winegard and whoever else makes RV dishes to see if they will be coming out with something more compact that fits your new RV. Otherwise Dish is your only choice if you want something built into your RV.

Since Directv is phasing out the 110/119 locations I should think it would be possible to use a round instead of oval dish, making it more compact dish possible. But that doesn't mean anyone is going to do it.

3. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    I had a conversation last year with a Winegard tech that said for them to build a portable domed setup for D* HD with D* having all their HD in MPEG4, it would require either a much larger and heavier unit or make it cost prohibitive. He referenced the KVM marine domed unit as an example. I haven't looked lately, but if I remember correctly, they were in the range of 7-10 grand!

Anyway, there was speculation by some on a few RV boards that suggest that if/when D* finishes their SD wind down (is it completely gone yet?), they may replace that with some sort of subset of HD programming on the same MPEG2 transponders that were used for SD service and the existing domed units would then be able to get those HD channels from 101. But as far as I know or have read lately, it still requires either the Travl'er or a Slimline dish to get HD programming from D*.

I have seen a couple of instances where people have mounted the Travl'er on a board and just set it on the ground next to their RV a few times instead of having them mounted on the roof. But with the Travl'er weighing in at about 50#, that would be quite a task to haul in and out all the time not to mention needing the storage space to haul that kind of setup. Ironically, one of the two instances I saw where they did this was actually next to a 40 ft. Class A. Maybe he was renting the RV or just refused to put holes in his roof to attach it? Anyway, if there is a will there's a way and I guess it's all about how badly you want D* and HD for some!

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I suggest you call Solid Signal and Speak to them about your needs

Solid Signal

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    How much time are you going to spend in your RV? How far will you be traveling away from your home? Other discussions on this site about DIRECTV not as flexible as they used to be about changing your location so you can get locals.

One of the founders of this site is a full-time RVer. He recommends DISH for RVs.