1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD DVR Installation Kit story

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by SteveHas, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007
    So I gave up trying to get my WET11 to connect my HR
    to my home network and started looking for painless alternatives.
    A wired connection would be a nasty wiring run.
    My budget is tight after buying a another HDTV.
    Two days ago I spotted something new (to me at least) on the D* web site called an
    HD DVR Network Installtion kit.
    The description said,
    "The HD DVR Network Installation Kit includes everything you need to connect your DIRECTV PlusĀ® HD DVR to the Internet: one Ethernet adapter, one Ethernet cable and detailed instructions to guide you through the entire setup process."

I checked out the requirements,
    • DIRECTV PlusĀ® HD DVR
    • Broadband Internet connection (speed - 750 Kbps or higher)
    • Broadband router or modem with router functionality
    • Available Ethernet port on the router or modem
    • Available wall outlet
    • DVR service
    Yup got all that, no problem!
    For $35.00 I was psyched and jumped on the offer.
    Well it arrived today, and in the box was one wall mount ethernet to powerline adapter, an ethernet cable, and a disk. The instruction manual gave instructions for connecting the wall mount to my router, or use the "power strip with an ethernet jack" on it.
    WHOA, I don't have one of those, and there was only one wall mount unit in the box, (needless to say that struck me as odd when I opened the box).
    I called D* and got great support.
    The Tech support rep thought the whole situation seemed odd as well. I asked if I could order the power strip, and it wasn't available through D*. So she said D* would send me another wall mount unit free of charge.
    Yeah!
    I told the Tech rep that an edit needs to be made to the web site, as you actually need to order two wall mounts.
    Moral to this story,
    D* web site bad
    D* CSR good

2. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    I agree, it definately needs to point out that you need two of the adapters.

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Maybe it could be a tad bit clearer. On the order page it asks how many DVRs you want to network.

Then it asks: Do you need an additional kit to network your router (first-time setup)? Next to that it says: Whats this? Clicking on that gives you: For your initial network setup, you need one additional kit to network your router. If you are just adding to your network, you don't need this additional kit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.