HD DVR or DVD recorder...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mjferguson, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjferguson

mjferguson Legend

Feb 3, 2004
    I just bought a Hughes HTL-HD and use my Sony DVD recorder with it. I am seeing a ton of info on the new HD DVR that is coming out. I am thinking I might reuten the HTL-HD and wait for the DVR, but am wondering what I really get with the DVR that I do not get with me DVD recorder? Besides the obvious scheduling benfits. Thanks.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Well, eventually you'll run out of room on the DVR.:) However, the DVD recorder probably doesn't record HD. I also have the HTL-HD which I'll probably keep as a backup when I can afford the HDTiVo. I also have a standalone DVD recorder. It's fun to have so many pieces of equipment. :D And, trying to figure out how to connect them together. ;)

3. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    No DVD recorder on the US market records true HD or anything other than 480p. I don't know why so many people think that a DVD is HD compatible? It's digital only, not analog or HD. there is only one HD DVD recorder on the world market at this time. It's the Sony Blu-Ray recorder priced at over $3,000. check out blu-ray.com to see it along with news and info on Blu-ray. They come to the US shores sometime late next year and will cost as much as 3 or 4 HD DIRECTIVOS. go with the HD Tivo, it's well worth it! did you see this link about the exact specs on it? HD Tivo spec sheet .The HD Tivo will record and play back in HD along with digital, with no analog conversion to transfer between receiver and recorder. this unit is expected to be out on 3/30/04 or later. It's great machine! get on the waiting list today. :)

4. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    While waiting I too have a dvd-r panasonic and a replay to record downrezzed hd from E*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.