1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD DVR Suggestion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rlavinder, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Aug 8, 2013 #1 of 28
    rlavinder

rlavinder Cool Member

Oct 21, 2010
    I have a suggestion for a software update for people who have multiple DVRs on their account when they want to set a recording. My suggestion is that you should be able to have the option to tell which DVR you want to set the recording to. For example if I know I have 2 recordings for 9:00 pm on my living room DVR I should not have to go to the one in the bedroom to set the recording. I know with the HD non DVR boxes you get the option to tell which DVR you want to record the show to. I would think the engineers would be able to make a software program update to do this. This is almost the main reason I am looking to upgrade my equipment to Genie. What does everyone think of this suggestion. I am looking forward to hearing them.

1 person likes this.
  2. Aug 8, 2013 #2 of 28
    Gary16

Gary16 Mentor

Oct 8, 2006
    You can do this now with the directv app on the iPhone. I use it regularly to designate which dvr to record on.

3. Aug 8, 2013 #3 of 28
    rlavinder

rlavinder Cool Member

Oct 21, 2010
    I would like it to work on the TV so I don't have to use the app on my tablet or IPad.

4. Aug 8, 2013 #4 of 28
    johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ
    You can also do it from your computer by going to directv.com to the guide and set it up there. Been doing that for years.

5. Aug 8, 2013 #5 of 28
    rlavinder

rlavinder Cool Member

Oct 21, 2010
    I know but there are times when I find a show while going through the guide and decide I want to record it and before I forget about it or get distracted by my son I should be able to hit select and tell which DVR to record it to. It should be easier than having to use our tablet or iPad to do it.

Sent from my AT100 using DBSTalk mobile app

6. Aug 8, 2013 #6 of 28
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    It doesn't get easier than using your iPad or iPhone.

Browsing the guide and want to set a recording on another unit? Reach over and pick up your phone right then and there. Voila!

7. Aug 8, 2013 #7 of 28
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I know but there are times when I find a show while going through the guide and decide I want to record it and before I forget about it or get distracted by my son I should be able to hit select and tell which DVR to record it to. It should be easier than having to use our tablet or iPad to do it.

Sent from my AT100 using DBSTalk mobile app

Unfortunately, that is a feature that will probably never be put in place. DirecTV wants things as simple as possible when it comes to recording and having to hit the Record button and then select a DVR is an extra step they don't want you to take. The only exception is if you are using a receiver, in which case you do get to select a DVR as the receiver itself cannot record the show. However, if you hit record on a DVR, it will record to that DVR.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

8. Aug 8, 2013 #8 of 28
    TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    That presupposes that everyone has an iPad or iPhone, No smartphones here. No Desire either. I was with my brother when he went to Verizon to replace his really old Nokia. They had to ship the phone since they only stock smart phones there. His wants: No camera, no smart phone features. Phone only. When it came he even had them disable texting. Some of us do not want their phone to do it all.

I can see why he wanted to disable texting. I have on older Samsung basic phone. It got Spam text today. Waste of my time having to delete that crud.

TBoneit

9. Aug 8, 2013 #9 of 28
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    And the OP stated that he had one if not both.

10. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    You're not the First and you wont be the Last to ask for this feature.

1 person likes this.
  11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Unfortunately there will never be a point in adding the requested feature. Not now anyway. Very few have multiple DVRs and the reality is if you have a genie you Likely don't have this issue in the first place. Upgrade your main unit to a genie or make it a non DVR so you can choose. That's the only way software wise to accomplish this.

12. GBFAN

GBFAN Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    Very few have multiple DVR's?

13. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yes very very few sub overall have multiple DVRs.

14. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I was told by a DirecTV representative (who should know) that there are a a number with two DVRs, but when you go to three DVRs the drop off is significant. Very very few have 3 or more. With two, it is really not that much of a challenge to simply set your recordings from the unit you want it recorded on, and changing the way things work to facilitate choosing which DVR would benefit so very few it is not something DirecTV is interested in pursuing. The downside of that type of change is it would have an impact on the overwhelming majority who do not have multiple DVRs to benefit the very few that do. I too would like to see that capability, but realize it isn't going to happen

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    And, as the OP* surmised, the Genie pretty much obviates the need to shunt a recording to one you're not viewing at the time.

* OP is same as TS, which reminds me of a youthful phrase not suited for here.

16. VaJim

VaJim Godfather

Jul 26, 2006
    Virginia...
    I agree....shouldn't have to go to a pc or phone (?...I have NO cell)

17. GBFAN

GBFAN Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    I guess I am one of the few since I have 3 DVR's.

18. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Probably a higher amount of users here have more than two, particularly as post count increases and if there's no Genie. But a lot of us aren't what would be defined as normal.

19. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    In many ways, not just with regard to multiple DVRs !rolling

20. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    :rolling: