HD-DVR to Yamaha YHT-390BL

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jthegreat15, Jun 4, 2009.

1. jthegreat15

jthegreat15 New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    I upgraded the HD-DVR on DirecTV yesterday. I am getting great picture to my TV. But I am not getting sound through my home theater system, a Yamaha YHT-390BL. I have the HDMI going from DVR to Yamaha to TV. I get great picture and sound through the TV but no sound through the Yamaha. I installed an optical audio cable from the DVR to the Yamaha and I still do not get sound through the Yamaha. I have both the HDMI and optical cables plugged into their respective DTV/CBL ports. Is there something else I need to do to get the sound through the home theater system?

2. larkor

larkor New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    With my Onkyo, the digital audio inputs are assignable to different device inputs (DVD, Cable, DVR). Are your Yamaha inputs assignable?

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    They almost certainly are.

4. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I have the YHT-390BL and I had to play with the Sound Fields in the Scene Templates.

The best Sound Field, to my ears, it the "TV Sports Viewing". The sound fields are on page 34 of your manual and the Scene Template setup on pp 24-29.

Some of the Sound Fields wouldn't give me any audio on channels that were in stereo and would only pass audio if the channel was 5.1.

BTW jthegreat15, Welcome to DBSTalk. :welcome_s

Mike