HD Extra pack is now Movies Extra pack

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by cypherx, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Apr 9, 2018 #1 of 20
    cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    I took a close look at my recent bill today and noticed a Movies Extra pack. I looked it up here:
    DIRECTV MOVIES EXTRA PACK | Get 8 Premium Channels | $4.99/mo

Seems like its the HD Extra pack. My only gripe with this is why is MTV Live in a "MOVIES" extra pack. Even Smithsonian and C&I Network don't seem to fit that title. Maybe a little repackaging is in the future works? They should get Epix and throw it in here, take the non-movies channels and distribute them amongst the other base packages.

John R. Metzger likes this.
  2. Apr 9, 2018 #2 of 20
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I noticed that in my Recent Activity statement. Just more AT&T putting their footprint on DIRECTV.

3. Apr 9, 2018 #3 of 20
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Should be called "commercials extra pack." I wouldn't quite call it premium.

HDNM, Sony and MGM are movies, at least. I can remember back to the old days when Universal HD showed movies with no ads and not "dumbed-down" to TV-14.

(That channel's long gone now from the extra pack. It had deteriorated to syndicated programming with cut material to make room for more ads.)

B. Shoe likes this.
  4. Apr 9, 2018 #4 of 20
    dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    Like Clue was an extra pack?

5. Apr 9, 2018 #5 of 20
    codespy

codespy The Pack is getting sacked!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Still will never subscribe to the now called movies extra pack. I always got the HD Extra Pack for free until they shut that option down almost a year ago. As a Premier tier subscriber since 1998, it's still a fricking joke these channels are not included in my package.

B. Shoe and I WANT MORE like this.
  6. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    From a customer perspective I see your point but from a business perspective it makes sense. The name of the game in business is profits.

7. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    I only have it for MTV Live. Some of the concerts are good. The music video block is also unheard of these days. Very RARELY the original music channels play music anymore. Since DirecTV doesn’t carry Music Choice Play HD like our cable company, it leaves one channel- MTV Live. Wish it was included with the regular packages.

If they want to create value in this movies extra, a prime candidate would be add all the available Epix HD channels to it. They could get more subscribers, I’m sure.

8. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes D* should add epix :)

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

9. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    If the name of the game is profits and business, they would have a good up sell opportunity adding Epix as the value of this package would be increased. More people may be willing to take this package and pay the upcharge in order to get Epix.

Though I still think MTVLive, C&I, and Smithsonian should be moved down to lower packages. They just don’t fit the whole “Movies” vibe this package naming is trying to convey.

I sent this to DTVfeedback@att.com as instructed to do so by a CSR over the phone. Feel free to do so as well.

10. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I'm sure if AT&T/DIRECTV could get a agreeable contract with the Epix providers we'd have Epix. Obviously that hasn't happened.

11. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    I'm just taking a wild guess here but probably the agreement to cary those channels cost more than other channels . That could he why they are on an a l carte bonus pack so D* can make $.

This sometimes happens during agreements .

Disney could have wanted more for ESPN classic that's why it's in sports pack .. I think altice dropped ESPN classic due to there recent contract .

Again I don't know don't work for AT&T or D* but just taking a wild guess

12. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    I just emailed them thanks sharing the email address

I was wondering what email to send channel requests

13. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    If the rumors where true, Viacom wanted a giant flat rate for epix last time they negotiated, (over 50 million a month range I think it was,could be wrong) and put in the contract anytime they want to start carrying the channels they can and that giant flat rate. I Sincerely doubt DIRECTV will ever have epix unless they allow it to be sold like HBO as a premium. There is no way they make money on it any other way. Not enough people would subscribe to it to cover the flat rate alone is my guess...

I don’t expect and it and don’t care either myself..

14. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I also refuse to put pressure on DIRECTV to carry a new channel that was started solely to gouge more money out of people, as before the epix channels the studio had distribution deals with other premiums, so all they did was dilute the number of movies to more channels for higher prices...

To me what epix is is the same as the pac 12 networks, only worse, because they want even more money...

15. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    50M

That s crazy .

But other tv providers including dish have epix so they have to agree to a decent rate.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  16. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Nope, it's in Sports Pack because about a decade ago ESPN made a mid-contract offer to providers to have ESPNU and ESPN Classic swap packages to get ESPNU into more homes.

Altice (Optimum & Suddenlink), RCN, Google Fiber, WOW, Blue Ridge, and several others still don't have it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  17. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    I first found out about Epix on Charter Spectrum (formerly TWC) in Hudson Valley NY area (family lives in that system). Surprisingly the cable system is maxed out (54-862 MHz), all but 2 RF channels (95 and 96) thanks to 96 MHz of OFDM for Gigabit service. For some lesser watched channels they do switched digital video.

Technology these days have advanced so far that Bandwidth is likely least of the concern. Especially with all the newfound bandwidth DirecTV has. But at what point is investing in this bandwidth futile when content providers don't want their stuff seen by the millions of potential customers? I mean if I were Epix, I would be eager to sign a deal to let the massive amounts of DirecTV customers view my content. If your bullheaded like Epix, it leads to piracy and other illegitimate means to get said content. Proliferation of internet streaming tv boxes, developments in tv box hacks, etc... All these media companies are doing is shooting themselves in the foot. You think McDonalds became big and popular for selling $10 hamburgers? Heck no... nobody could afford that. Get the content out there at a cost effective way and more people will see it, recognize it and it will grow from there.

Epix will never be as big of a brand as HBO, Cinemax, Showtime or Starz. They just don't care enough to get a wide enough distribution. Cable giant Comcast doesn't have them either.

APB101 likes this.
  18. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I believe a lot of them had it before they made the offer to DIRECTV and some had speculated the others had complexity different terms that where not flat rates. Who knows though today..

dtv757 likes this.
  19. the future is now

the future is now AllStar

Jun 9, 2010
    Los Angeles
    free preview happening for the next week...

codespy and dtv757 like this.
  20. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Eventually AT&T's contract with Epix on U-Verse TV will come up for renegotiation and either at that time they will get the ability to carry Epix on all their TV platforms, keep it U-Verse TV only or drop it completely. If AT&T can get a deal that they think is better by adding Epix to DTV then I'm sure it will happen.

Suddenlink's last contract they agreed to with Viacom as an independent company in 2010 which lasted until 2014 when they dropped the Viacom channels had a provision where Suddenlink could add Epix but they chose not to.