1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD for Free - Lowest Possible Charges

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by SDWC, Jun 15, 2010.

1. SDWC

SDWC AllStar

Dec 14, 2005
    Hi all,

I've been trying to understand the HD for free promotion and I want to make sure I'm being charged the lowest possible amount for the programming, support, and receivers. I've been reading here about various customers who have dropped a package and then added it back at a lower cost, and customers who had their HD cost reduced in half, and others who saw no change, and my head is spinning a bit :)

I have 2 active recievers, a 508 designated as primary and a 722k. I had no HD service until November of 2009. My monthly fees are as follows:

AT 250 w/locals - $62.99
    HBO - $15.99
    HD & Platinum - $10.00
    Service Plan - $6.00
    Solo Receiver - $7.00
    DVR Service - $6.00

Total pretax $107.98

Does this look correct to those with more experienced eyes than myself? Or, is there anything I can do to reduce the price and maintain the same status?

Thanks to all in advance.

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Assuming you're getting Free HD for Life, Platinum becomes a $10 optional subscription which you could cancel if you don't watch the channels in the package. Otherwise, you're going to see a $2 increase on the AT250 in your first bill issued after June 3.

3. SDWC

SDWC AllStar

Dec 14, 2005
    Thanks for your prompt reply. I do wish to keep the Platinum at this time. I assume then that everything else on my statement looks to be correct, per your comments.

Thanks very much.

4. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Also, your 722 is the primary, otherwise your receiver fee would be $17

5. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    If someone chose not to get HD free for life would their 250 subscription also go up $2?

Outside of this forum there was no communication from E* about the $2 price increase.

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    You should go to your account on line and check the programming page. Mine automatically switched to look like this:
    [​IMG]

7. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    Okay I don't get this. My options look like this (see attached)

So I am guessing that I can get the HD 250 Free instead of paying $10 for that and all I have to do is sign up for 24 month extension? I already have paperless billing and autopay.

Is that correct?

Attached Files:

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Correct.

It is a shame you didn't do the drop/add HD trick before June 3rd to get on "HD & Platinum HD" ... that would have taken you to "Free" with no commitment.

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Correct.

10. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    Thanks, I don't care about the 24 months, I don't plan on going anywhere.

11. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    No matter whether you're HD or SD, Top 200 and Top 250 went up $2.

12. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    While I don't like the idea that you would have to pay $99 up-front to get free HD for life IF you don't want to do paperless or AutoPay...

If the $10 fee is $120 per year... then you'd still save $21 that first year by paying up front and then save beyond that, essentially forever... so I suppose it is hard to argue against converting if you're in the group that qualifies.

13. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    So after 24 months on HD for life is it fair to assume if you drop paperless and autopay they will increase your bill $10/mo. if you have an HD package below Platinum?

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Guessing the price list 24 months from now?

Per the offer, you will have "HD Free" as long as paperless/autopay is maintained - for the life of the account. Drop paperless/autopay or cancel the account and you will have to requalify for "HD Free" again.

Having Platinum is irrelevant to the current HD Free offer. If you qualified for HD Free via the paperless/autopay/commitment route part of the commitment is to maintain paperless/autopay. Maintaining Platinum is not required and does not excuse anyone from the terms of the offer. Customers who qualified for HD Free by paying the $99 fee or having "HD & Platinum HD" active on June 3rd didn't make that commitment and don't need to maintain paperless/autopay.

15. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Doesn't matter how long, if you drop the autopay anytime, whether the commitment's done or not, you lose the discount.

16. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Now that I have "HD Free For Life"I wonder what would happen if I dropped from 250 to 200? Now that I'm "committed" do I have to keep the same programming level or just pay the $5 downgrade fee and still get the all the HD channels that are in 200.

17. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Just pay the $5 downgrade fee.