1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hd gui

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tulanejosh, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 2, 2011 #1 of 16
    tulanejosh

tulanejosh Godfather

May 23, 2008
    not looking to make this into a long drawn out thread - just a few questions. HD GUI is currently in roll out? Guessing this is a long tail roll out - over a few months given the level of change here to minimize impacts to D* call centers? Any rhyme or reason to who gets it and when (heard something about account number based selection but wondering what the criteria is within that subset)? also - i am impatient - is there a way to force updgrade at this point, or are we beyond that window?

2. Nov 2, 2011 #2 of 16
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    There is no way to force upgrade to a national release, but I also don't believe its being rolled out yet, you get it when you get it. Head over to the cutting edge forum section if you want to learn more.

3. Nov 2, 2011 #3 of 16
    tulanejosh

tulanejosh Godfather

May 23, 2008
    thought i heard that it was on one of the sticky threads on the dbstalk.com main page. Stuart Sweet closed the thread with word that it was being rolled.

4. Nov 2, 2011 #4 of 16
    texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
  5. Nov 2, 2011 #5 of 16
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I'm hoping that long time customers will be at the head of the roll out.

What has the history shown for how the roll out happens?

6. Nov 2, 2011 #6 of 16
    alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    D*'s rollouts are usually by location, not by seniority.

7. Nov 2, 2011 #7 of 16
    wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    rollouts are based on time zone and model numbers

8. Nov 2, 2011 #8 of 16
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Wrong

Wrong

DirecTV firmware rollouts have nothing to do with location, time zone, model number or anything like that. They rollout by account.

Someone in Florida may have gotten it today along with someone in Washington State, Texas and Ohio. Then tomorrow it could be Georgia, Alaska, Arizona and Illinois...

You'll get the update when you're account is authorized to get it.

9. Nov 2, 2011 #9 of 16
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Very true in this case. From what I have been told, this will be household by household vs the west to east or bulk updates in the past.

Bottom line, this one is going to be a drawn out affair.

10. awblackmon

awblackmon Legend

May 20, 2009
    l got the new gui and I know one other person that got it. Checked with a few other friends and they did not. They even tried a forced download and it didn't work to get the gui. I agree that it may be a long roll out due to reducing the amount of call center calls. My Mom hated the change, I love it, my wife loves it, and my friend loves it. So 25 percent of us didn't like it. That could be a lot of calls saying.... you fill in the blanks. My Mom is 83 and says she can't read some of the screen where there is smaller fonts and it is gray on black making it harder for her to see.

One other thing we noticed. The CBS local channel looks a lot better in HD now after the new gui.

11. awblackmon

awblackmon Legend

May 20, 2009
    Oh and I have two Directv installs tomorrow. I am curious if the new gui will download when I do the forced download prior to activation of receivers?

12. Mcmiller519

Mcmiller519 AllStar

Oct 15, 2010
    We were told today in our tech meeting that the new guide was for directv employees for them to give there feedback and also received an tech email on it

13. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    No.

14. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Doubtful

15. lmurphy

lmurphy Legend

Jul 25, 2004
    The type on the guide is a little to small and hard to read. But otherwise I like the new guide.

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    We have a thread for the hd GUI in the he receiver forum, so I'm closing this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.