1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Guide on Fios

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by compnurd, Dec 16, 2010.

1. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Looks like on another Forum I Follow Verizon has started pushing the new Interface to users with the HD GUI. People like the 16x9 guide alot it appears

Maybe we will see one sometime.....

2. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    I wish DirecTV would change things up a bit. I just got DirecTV in the summer but my uncles has had it for over 10 years and I remember the DIrecTV guide being blue for some time now. I just wish things were color coded.

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Its changed more than once in that time, and added a number of improvements, new graphics, etc. since 10 years ago. More is anticipated in 2011.

4. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
  5. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    For what it's worth, I'm signed on as one of the beta testers for Verizon's new guide s/w - I got it downloaded yesterday. I can't say much about it (since I signed an NDA), except that it is very cool. Lots of very nice new features, and very well thought out.

6. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Does it tell what's on?
    Does it give show info?

If 'yes' to both, then I'm happy because it's just a guide & just as good now. It could be in Apple IIe green text for all I care. :lol:

7. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    Also for what it's worth, to somewhat counter what the OP said, and to go along with what I implied in my post, the s/w is not being pushed out to the general customer base yet. It JUST entered beta testing (as I mentioned - it got downloaded yesterday). They're doing that testing in my region, so I volunteered, got accepted, and have been playing with the new s/w since.

8. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Many people have the same philosophy when it comes to HD programming, Dolby Digital sound, cars, designer clothes, smart phones, you name it.

"Just as good" depends on the user and their needs and wants. For me, if a guide tells whats on then it works, if it tells whats on for more time and more channels then it works even better.

9. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I'd like to see an option to get the old TiVo style list guide return, in HD of course.

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'd like that, as well. Many things can be improved, for sure.

11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    My fear of an HD guide is that they do what Tivo did to theirs (even when not yet in HD) and added a bunch of useless glitz to it. Icons for PPV movies along the top. I don't need a bunch of stinkin pictures. Give me data.

The only thing I see an HD guide doing for me is that the text can be sharper and more data can be displayed.

But seeing how web sites went from nice and simple to gaudy and flashy with increased bandwidth and programming power, I kind of doubt things will get better.

BTW, the current Fios (SD) guide is gawdawful. Useless graphic design that adds nothing to the use of the guide itself. What I have seen of the pictures of the new HD guide, it looks okay and better than the old one, which looks like it was designed by 1950s car manufacturers.

12. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    It will be here "soon". *

*The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

13. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    I've seen minor changes since I've had it which was only been about 5 months. Clock position changed onces I think but from what I've seen it hasn't been revamped in awhile.

14. Spicoli

Spicoli This is only a test...

Jun 7, 2006
    I remember on my old Sony's I could change the color scheme.

15. betterdan

betterdan Icon

May 22, 2007
    The first HD Directv receiver we bought (for $600) was a Samsung one and you could change colors on it. They had 4 colored themes relating to the seasons.