1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD is how much?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by GregLee, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Jan 8, 2010 #1 of 20
    GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    I recall that in the Fall of 2007 I had decided to leave cable and try satellite TV, and I tried to figure out what HD channels Dish could provide in Hawaii and how much they would charge, but the Dish website just wasn't prepared to tell me that. So I subscribed to DirecTV instead. Now I'm ready to review that decision, and I just spent a half hour or so on the Dish website, trying and failing to find out, as I tried to do over 2 years ago, what HD can Dish offer in Hawaii and how much will they charge me for it?

I really think Dish owes prospective customers this kind of basic information. Not teaser rates --- I'm not really interested in what I'd pay just in the first year, if I have to worry about rates going way up in the second year. I'm not interested in being directed to a phone conversation with some local installer, because what are commitments made verbally over the phone worth? Not much. Besides, I don't like personal negotiations.

It's very frustrating. I want to consider Dish a serious competitor to DirecTV, but how can I?

2. Jan 8, 2010 #2 of 20
    TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    I suppose it depends on how much time you're willing to invest. I'd go with whomever gives me the best dependable information that I need to make an informed decision. If that isn't Dish, so be it.

3. Jan 9, 2010 #3 of 20
    FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    I wouldn't blame dish. you've ruled out the two options that the rest of the human world uses.

4. Jan 9, 2010 #4 of 20
    GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    I don't think that's so. If you go to the Dish site to price a subscription, I bet you can find what HD locals you would be able to receive. But Dish has special packages for Hawaii, and none of the locals listed is given as being available in HD. But I'm sure some are actually carried in HD. I bet you can find out what installation costs would be, but for Hawaii, there is just a vague footnote about a special dish being required -- they don't say what dish or how much extra it would cost.

It seems that Dish is just not particularly interested in marketing their product in Hawaii.

5. Jan 9, 2010 #5 of 20
    krock918316

krock918316 Hall Of Fame

Mar 5, 2007
    They have a phone number on the front page - 1-888-825-2557. How about picking up the phone and asking someone?

6. Jan 9, 2010 #6 of 20
    Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    because that would be to easy! :rolleyes:

7. Jan 9, 2010 #7 of 20
    GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    What info are you looking for, exactly? DishClassicGold is 52.98+10 teaser price for 12 months, with the regular price of 67.98+10 right below it for next 12 months. Now in your 2nd yr could the 67.98 go up a dollar or two, sure, but you have the same problem with Direct, every yr, the prices go up a little bit.
    Nobody Cable, Sat, Fiber, Uverse, will tell you exactly what percent they are going to change your fees too, a yr or two yrs out. Info is right there though. 1st 12 months $52.98, next 12 months $67.98, and add $10 to both for the HD option.

All this was as simple as simple as selecting Hawaii under packages

8. Jan 9, 2010 #8 of 20
    krock918316

krock918316 Hall Of Fame

Mar 5, 2007
  9. Jan 9, 2010 #9 of 20
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  10. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    I said very explicitly what info. Which local channels are carried in HD and what the special dish they say is required for Hawaii costs. Hey, you don't have to be interested, but if you're going to comment, maybe you should summon the energy to first read what you're commenting on?

11. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Please read post #1 in this thread. You will see you missed something in that post then, No mention of which locals(Locals are included in the base package, granted it says that right on the website), no mention of Hardware, no mention so What dish, and what ever else you want to add on afterwards. As for What HD channels and HOW much, you have plenty of info on that now.
    http://www.dishnetwork.com/packages/local/default.aspx All you have to do is enter in you proper address
    Granted Honolulu is a DMA that is carried.

12. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Actually, Darryl and his other brother Darryl who run the Dish web site have this note on the page you get when you type in a Honolulu address:
    As near as I can tell, there are no "HD" notations. However, like everyone else, those seeking detailed information about what Dish carries in Hawaii including the satellites used can go to http://www.dishuser.org/dishlist.php and use their browser's page search, type in "Honolulu" and discover that they have one more HD local than I do in the San Francisco Bay Area, PBS.:mad:

13. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    well at least you all are doing all the work...

14. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    This website works just fine
    http://www.dishnetwork.com/packages/local/default.aspx
    Put in a real address like
    500 Ala Moana, Honolulu, HI 96813
    Hit submit and scroll all the way down through the list, and you will see all 6 HD stations, including PBS, at the bottom, and just above the notice informing you that you can order the superstations as well. Site even shows, you what Channel they are on as well. Includes the Digital channels as well in the 5xxx.

15. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    WORK!!!?!?!?!?!?!!!!! (/maynard)

16. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    Yes, you're right, it does work. Thanks. And looking more closely at the Hawaii programming packages, I found in very light gray letters a reference to a $4.99/month "Hawaii Dish 500 Upgrade Fee". So that answers my other complaint about not being told how much the special dish required would cost. (By the way, DirecTV does not have such special fees for their Hawaii customers.)

17. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    My bad. I just simply looked at the network stations indicated with a network local looking for an HD symbol. I kinda think this isn't as clear a chart as it could be:

[​IMG]

But having spent time on the Dish website I should have known to look carefully several times.

What is surprising is that the HD locals are on 110° while the SD locals are on 119°.

18. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Now if you are saying it was a Hack job, by a lazy person they way they edit out the list. You have a GOOD point there.

19. IslandTech

IslandTech New Member

Feb 24, 2010

I would have to agree with Greg
    Satellite here has been at best, tricky in trying to determine exactly what you will be getting and at what price. :(
    It wasnt until recently that EVERYONE 'had' Dish 500. Meaning, ANY account in Alaska and Hawaii was auto mapped with sat 119 and 110. I am told this was a 'unfixable' computer glich. So all the customers who did not purchase a 110 dish with LNBF and the install to set it to 110 with a multiswitch;Didnt get sat 110. Imagine the frustration in adding Americas everything or the Top 250 package and missing all those 110 channels :(

The technology is much better now, and all new customers automatically get a Hawaii dish 500 dish installed, (not sure what they get in Alaska). And if you are adding HD, you get a free wing dish installed with a DPP 33 switch. I believe in Maui you would need to shop arround a little to make sure there are no additional charges for additional HD eqt.

greg,
    As far as major differences between the two, Directv has a much larger dish (1.2 meter) So depending on the lazyness or capability of your DTV employed tech you will probably get a mixed bag quality wise of Dish placement, wiring, connectors, and knowledge. Programming, receiver wise they are very similar, the glaring differnces are :
    DTV has more HD channels
    Dish has cheaper packages overall (During and after the first year)
    Dish has better technology, (less latency then DTV DVR's)
    Dish has V.S. channel in SD and HD

The special dish that you need for HD in Hawaii is the Dish 500 dish or 500HW
    That dish gets installed to sat 119 and 129. Then you would need a smaller dish (24 inches or less) for Sat 110.
    If international channels are needed, then this is a whole different ballgame as far as the eqt goes for both dish and *D.
    *D requires TWO 1.2 meter dishes and a wing dish to sat 95
    Dish requires a dish to 118, 119 sat, 500HW for HD 129, and wing dish to 110.
    Obviously if youre in an association or condo etc, you will not be able to get *D due to the dish size exceeding 1.0 mtr.
    Hope this helps, if you need more help respond here or at mauiht@rocketmail.com
    GL

20. IslandTech

IslandTech New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    and yes there is a '4.99 Dish 500 fee' however, they have removed the second TV fee of 4.99 off a dual tuner receiver (625 standard def DVR, 722 HD DVR, 322 SD, with out having a land line attached to the IRD. At any rate Dish will be less during and after the promotion period then *D