1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD LIL rollout slows

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Herdfan, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Mar 3, 2009 #1 of 19
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    It seems the HD-LIL rollout has slowed to a crawl again. January had 3 new markets light up and February had none. Perhaps the "planned" DTV transition slowed the rollout down.:(

2. Mar 3, 2009 #2 of 19
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I would imagine that they hadn't scheduled much in the way of new markets given what was supposed to have been the DTV transition.

3. Mar 3, 2009 #3 of 19
    JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez Legend

May 9, 2008
    The hint of my market (Jackson,MS) for Q1 rollout has a narrow window of opportunity to make it happen. We'll see.

4. Mar 3, 2009 #4 of 19
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Tell me about it!

Though I'll probably be waiting until D12 goes up for my DMA (#147), if then, I liked them adding all these HD-LIL markets since it meant they were getting closer and closer to mine.

~Alan

5. Mar 4, 2009 #5 of 19
    Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Hold on, I thought that we weren't getting any new national HD channels because they were focusing on locals. Now we're not getting any local OR national HD channels. I guess it's time for the "negotiations" excuse to come back to the front of the line.

6. Mar 4, 2009 #6 of 19
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Dish Network just added 11 HD markets this past month (one was delayed), with 25 launches announced for this month... which if they do, will give them the lead in markets offered in HD... and that's only the announced ones with dates associated with them.

If DirecTV didn't schedule much in the way of markets because of the DTV transition, Dish Network apparently didn't have any concerns about doing so.

DirecTV does have three markets scheduled for 1Q 2009, so there could be some come online this month. If not, five markets scheduled for next month.

Personally, I'm guessing they must be "getting equipment in place"...

~Alan

7. Mar 4, 2009 #7 of 19
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Well, they have been adding additional HD channels to local packages...

~Alan

8. Mar 4, 2009 #8 of 19
    Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Huh?

9. Mar 4, 2009 #9 of 19
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    They may not have been adding additional HD-LIL markets, but they have been filling out currently available HD-LIL markets (PBS, other locals, etc.). For instance, last week:

~Alan

10. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Ah, I see. The word "packages" is what threw me off.

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    You guys are crazy .. DIRECTV has been adding PBS, CW or My Network channels at a pretty regular rate. It certainly doesn't seem like a slow down to me.

12. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Dish was way behind in HD locals, but they just had a new spotbeam sat go live at 129, allowing them to add a bunch of HD locals. But just because there is a flurry of Dish activity right now doesn't mean that you'll see the same thing with DirecTV. DirecTV was doing a lot of this a year ago, and then more over the last few months.

Using one company as a yardstick for the other makes little sense.

13. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I brought up the fact that DirecTV has been adding PBS, CW, and MyNetworkTV affiliates... and continuing to round out their local offerings.

However, looking at Newshawk's excellent DirecTV HD Locals by Launch Date information, it appears that DirecTV has only added two new DMAs this year (back in January), and only one back in December of last year (when the slowdown started) after several markets, the only ones announced, were pushed back into 2009. Looking at the list, you'll also see that DirecTV has been going pretty steadily with the addition of HD-LIL markets since August of last year through November. Before that, not a single market added between February and August.

Satelliteracer has said more HD-LIL markets are coming, so it's only a matter of time, but they are currently in a launch "lull".

~Alan

14. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Generally, it does! It's called competition! ;)

However, in the case of me bringing up Dish Network, I was mainly referring to the fact that here's a satellite company who was not interested in providing HD-LIL beyond 50 markets, then 100 markets, and now they're fixing to catch up with DirecTV... and surpass them!

Dish Network announced last month some 60+ markets for launch this year, some for last month, and many of them for this month. DirecTV currently has 7 announced. Later this year, DirecTV will catch up, and probably surpass Dish, but in the meantime, it looks like Dish will surpass them for a time.

~Alan

15. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    In terms of channels added, no there is no slowdown, but in terms of new markets, there sure is.

It seems D* will go nuts adding multiple markets every week for a month or two, then it slows to a crawl. We are in the crawl stage.

16. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Another thing to keep in mind is that they are trying to get the laws for locals changed so that baically as I understand it they can offer already existing locals to area's that are missing an affiliate or all I guess. As I understood it if there was a missing affiliate in your area or state such as me who lives in Oklahoma and gets locals from Kansas as well as Missouri that the plan would be for me to get them from instate which would mean tulsa. Thats what I want anyways and I know the spot beam reaches us here cause I know several people who cheat the system and get Tulsa locals here. From what I read there are 30-45 markets that this could help get locals and really D* would not have to do anything. They could add channels that they already have so no more cost buy more DMA's get covered. I can not help but wonder if this is one reason that it is slowing down to. Why spend alot more money if you can get the laws changed and benifit more from what you already have?

17. Azdeadwood

Azdeadwood Legend

Aug 18, 2007
    I suppose that if you are getting all of your locals in HD the progress sounds good. However 62% of markets don't have PBS HD, 64% no CW HD, 76% no MNT HD and 83% don't have their Independent HD stations.

I'm in a Market that doesn't have any of those channels in HD. A a result I have been waiting 15 months for PBS HD and have no clue when I will get it. That seems too slow to me. Especially in a market ranked at 44.

18. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Sat racer did post that DirecTV did convert many of it's Local Receive Facilities over to digital even tho the mandatory transition was delayed. That conversion does seem to have occupied a bit of their time recently and I do consider it a wise move to leave resources available for any potential problems that might have occurred if the transition had occurred when originally planned. It's not like they had a bunch of time to go back and change their plans since it got delayed so last minute.

As far as Dish goes they did just launch their most power Spot beam capable sat ever. They have done a lot to bring new locals up and transition existing locals from Conus Tps to new spot beams but they also still have lots of things left to do. For example they have several spots for Hawaii and Alaska that are still haven't been turned on. Because a lot of their Conus beams don't make it to Hawaii and Alaska these spots will actually be providing a lot of their main content not just their locals.

19. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    It's no different than what Dish is doing now. DirecTV started adding a bunch of HD locals because they added satellite capability that allowed them to do so. Of course, they also had to build uplink stations for each spotbeam, get contracts signed with all of the local stations, and arrange to get the local signals to the uplink. That's a lot of work and takes time, especially the contractual issues.

There is always a flurry of activity following a new sat coming online, which always tapers off. This is nothing new.

The next flurry will happen when D12 is launched and placed in its permanent orbit.