1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Locals: Detroit, MI

Discussion in 'HD Locals' started by Doug Brott, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    DMA: Detroit, MI
    Established: 10/20/2005

2. erict

erict Legend

Jan 29, 2008
    I am in the Detroit area and was wondering if anyone else is having a problem with their local NBC channel. The past couple of days there is an audio breakup about every couple minutes and once or twice a day slight pixelation. This is the only local channel it’s happing on.

3. wolverine318

wolverine318 AllStar

Oct 17, 2007
    I am in the detroit area too. I was having some issues last night with NBC, but it is fine now.

4. erict

erict Legend

Jan 29, 2008
    I did notice it on channel 7 (ABC) last night as well. I did not check the other locals though. It’s like an audio hiccup and sometimes the picture will freeze for a split second or is slightly pixilated but not all the time. It’s the audio hiccup that is always present. Now this morning I had channel 4 (NBC) local news on and it was not doing it at all. Hopefully it’s fixed. I will see tonight.

5. erict

erict Legend

Jan 29, 2008
    Problem is still present. I sure hope they fix this soon. It’s very annoying:nono:

6. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    I have had it on 4 and 7 from time to time.

7. erict

erict Legend

Jan 29, 2008
    Still having issues as of last night and this morning.

8. erict

erict Legend

Jan 29, 2008
    Well so far last night and this morning everything is fine on my locals. I’m hoping they resolved this issue:rolleyes:

9. Oct 1, 2008 #9 of 20
    erict

erict Legend

Jan 29, 2008
    ABC sound but no picture. NBC pixilated and jittery.

10. Kenkong586

Kenkong586 Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    WMYD broadcasts 720P yet Directv broadcasts it at 1080I

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Added PBS - WTVS (56) to the lineup

12. gcd0865

gcd0865 Legend

Jul 23, 2008
    Hi All:

Noticed that WFUM-28 (PBS) was added in HD by DirecTV to the Flint-Saginaw market, and was wondering if there was any chance that WFUM could be added to DirecTV's HD lineup for metro Detroit as well, under the "significantly viewed" provision that I believe is allowed now for satellite tv.

The justifications would be as follows:

1 - WFUM is now carried in HD by DirecTV already;

2 - WFUM's transmitting tower is actually right near the intersection of Oakland, Genesee and Lapeer counties, such that the OTA signal serves at least the northern half of the metro Detroit market;

3 - Many cable systems in the northern half of the metro Detroit market already have WFUM on their lineups, so this would put DirecTV on an even footing competitively with local cable systems;

4 - WFUM shows some different programming from WTVS, and/or shows some of the same programming at different times;

5 - (Perhaps) adding WFUM to the metro Detroit channel listing for DirecTV would not necessarily require adding WFUM to the Detroit spotbeam, if metro Detroit is still sufficiently within the Flint-Saginaw spotbeam (not sure if a DirecTV receiver can be authorized to receive from more than one spotbeam at a time, though);

6 - (Alternatively to #5) perhaps there is sufficient space on the Detroit spotbeam to duplicate WFUM there, without adversely affecting overall satellite capacity.

Just wondering about this. I'd appreciate hearing anyone's comments about whether it might be possible, and who to contact at DirecTV to ask...

13. cb7214

cb7214 Icon

Jan 25, 2007
    IMHO probably not as there is a PBS already available and broadcast by Directv for that DMA

14. hunter65

hunter65 Guest

Why we cannot get 5.1 DD on WTVS

Here is the response from our Head Engineer to your question about 5.1 Dolby Digital.

"We are not equipped to transmit 5.1 audio at this time. We were able to pass through 5.1 from PBS a couple of years ago. Changes in FCC rules for PSIP, closed captioning and the addition of Create and datacasting in our DTV channel forced us to process and switch all program streams through our MCR and that only gives us stereo audio output. The ability to process 5.1 (Dolby Digital) will be part of a future upgrade when we have funding to do so"

I hope this answers you inquiry.

15. erict

erict Legend

Jan 29, 2008
    Anybody else have local issues this morning? Local nbc & abc was hit and miss but fox was ok:confused:

16. erict

erict Legend

Jan 29, 2008
    Anyone else having a stuttering issue with NBC local channel? It happens on all my TV's and is only this channel. This is the Detroit area.

17. Kentstater

Kentstater Godfather

Jun 18, 2004
    SE Michigan
    I am also seeing the stuttering on Detroit 4.
    I have the AM21 and use it for Toledo OTA,although I am in the Detroit DMA for Satellite.
    I was comparing the PGA tournament yesterday but gave up on the satellite.

18. erict

erict Legend

Jan 29, 2008
    Well at least I'm not alone. I knew something was up as this issue is on all my TV's. There was also a lip sync issue but that seems fixed.

19. timf

timf Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 21, 2002
    Yes, there is definitely an issue. I noticed it over the weekend and am still seeing it right now.

20. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    I have it to but not when I use my AM21 or OTA. Only from the sat.