1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Locals in Little Rock

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by JerryLA, Oct 14, 2007.

1. JerryLA

JerryLA Legend

Dec 29, 2003
    Just moved here from Colorado. Very disappointed in the local news efforts. The Denver locals on NBC were in HD and the locals here are quite inferior. Does anyone in this area know if there are any plans to bring local programming, like the news at 6 and 10 into HD? This is my first experience using OTA to receive HD programming... only problem is that the content is truly inferior. I guess it is just a different market and not up to the standards of other major cities. What a surprise to find that LR is below the curve. Any information would be appreciated.

2. jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354 Icon

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta
    LR is a much smaller market than Denver. Only 2 of the big 4 in Atlanta are HD and we are the #8 market.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Contact your local network affiliates to voice your interest in seeing local
    news broadcasts in HD. You'll be a voice in the wilderness, so to speak. :p

4. arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    Only a few larger markets have had the money to spend on local HD equipment, which is quite expensive. HD local news seems to have no effect on ratings and advertising revenue. In fact, some stations that have converted to HD local news have actually lost ratings, if the threads over at AVSForum are true.

Most of the LR stations are owned by big corporations like Gannett, Allbritton, ClearChannel, Nexstar. Since they own stations in markets much much larger than LR, don't look for any HD local news until their stations in bigger markets are upgraded. Their money goes where it will affect more viewers.

I was born and raised in Little Rock. The content and technical quality of LR local TV is bad because it has always been a stepping stone market. People often get their start there, but if they're very good, they often move on to bigger towns and fatter paychecks. The result is a constant talent drain on Little Rock, Ark. TV stations.

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Welcome to HD hell, er, Little Rock . FWIW, there is nothing on the news here except the latest shootings, and a debate whether the Arkansas Razorback head coach will be run out of the state next year....boring.... Watch cnn :)

6. razorbackfan

razorbackfan Godfather

Aug 17, 2002
    Ridgway,...
    It could be worse, you could be watching northwest Arkansas news...

But seriously folks, what arxaw said, even the rock is too small a market for local HD news, the equipment is just too expensive and honestly I don't think 99% of the viewers here care.

I visited my sisters in Grand Junction last month and was blown away by the Denver local news channels, the backyard weather, the many many remote live shots from all over the state. Very very well done.

If you have Dish, watch HDNet News, it's not local, but at least it's in HD. And NBC Network news is in HD also.

7. arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    Or DirecTV:
    CNN-HD
    CNBC-HD
    FOX Business-HD
    Weather Channel-HD

A lot of stuff on these news channels isn't HD yet, but they just got on the air....