HD locals in Winnemucca Nv from Reno are now gone

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by BigRick10, Apr 19, 2011.

1. BigRick10

BigRick10 Cool Member

Sep 11, 2009
    So it seems the HD feed from Reno locals have been shut down here in Winnemucca NV. The SD feeds still come in just fine. Directvm.com/loclas now shoes as HD feeds not available in our area. Why is that?? Reno is still receiving HD locals. If anyone has any info plz let me know thanks.

2. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    Probably similar to what happened with Salt Lake City and Lincoln, Neb., locals. You're likely at the edge of the spot beam for HD locals and DirecTV shuts down access for all customers in your ZIP code.

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If an entire zip code cannot receive the signal at a specified level, then no one in the zip code gets HD locals.

The policy is in place to prevent excessive service calls due to signal issues o nthe fringe of the spot beam.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    And that is because customers are "qualified" for HD locals or not based on their ZIP code. If they can't assure everyone in the ZIP code a reliable signal, they will not offer the service to that ZIP code.

But it seems pretty obvious that DirecTV is working on a solution. Likely that's going to be tied to the next satellite launch, which should add some capacity for HD locals.

5. grizbear

grizbear AllStar

Aug 9, 2007
    Obvious? Enlighten me.

6. Rob

Rob Icon

Apr 22, 2002

In wide/large area zip codes they should regulate this policy to the 9 digit zip code. For example, 99756 is larger than the entire state of California.

7. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    99756. I googled it.:)

8. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    He's right, D* is working on a solution

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The launch of another sat to the 99 location, and the repurposing of the phased-array spot beam satellite, should allow more local spot beams, which can be moved and sized in space due to the phased-array design of the antenna, unlike most spot-beam sats that used fixed antennas.

Obviously, then, the most logical idea would be to add spots that would allow DirecTV to serve currently-unserved areas. Additional local uplink stations would also be required, of course.

10. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    As a close but "outside" observer of the LIL transition to HD by Directv, I can't allow this enticing but typically vague statement to pass by.

I understand your inability to give specifics but anything to understand the process for completion of LIL coverage (including CW/PBS) into all 210 DMA's would be welcome.

Does the time frame require additional satellites? What's on the menu for BSS and any comment re testing , usage of D-12 BSS payload would also be welcome.

Just a guy who wants to know:)

Doctor j