DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HD locals not in HD....

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  bonscott87 
#1 ·
While watching Today this morning the show was in HD then commercial with the side bars comes on. Back to Today and it's got the bars. What is going on? Is someone physically flipping a switch to toggle SD or HD at the local station?

#4 ·
IIRC, Mark, you're in the OKC market. I know that no Tulsa station has switched to HD news coverage and I don't believe that any OKC station has gone to HD either. Most national commercials, and all local commercials, are shot in 4:3 aspect ratio at this time, but national advertisers are starting to switch to 16:9.

#5 ·
Newshawk said:
IIRC, Mark, you're in the OKC market. I know that no Tulsa station has switched to HD news coverage and I don't believe that any OKC station has gone to HD either. Most national commercials, and all local commercials, are shot in 4:3 aspect ratio at this time, but national advertisers are starting to switch to 16:9.
THE Today show is in HD. National morning news

#7 ·
FenixTX said:
Most likely your local NBC station had a local commercial and turned HD off to air the commercial and forgot to "flip the switch" and turn the HD feed back on.
Yep. Still happens a lot. Shoulda seen how it was 5 years ago. I had 3 local station affiliates phone numbers on speed dial back in the day.

"Dangit! They didn't go back to HD after commercial during Alias again....honey, get me the phone!" :D

Luckily most of my affiliates don't screw up anymore.

#9 ·
bonscott87 said:
Yep. Still happens a lot. Shoulda seen how it was 5 years ago. I had 3 local station affiliates phone numbers on speed dial back in the day.

"Dangit! They didn't go back to HD after commercial during Alias again....honey, get me the phone!" :D

Luckily most of my affiliates don't screw up anymore.
Haha, that's funny. Gotta love speed dial. Yeah, fortunately this kind of problem doesn't happen very often now a days.

#10 ·
I see this a lot with locals. CBS in Reno is particularly bad for it, but NBC has run whole episodes in SD letterboxed on their HD station here. The main problem comes up when they switch on the banner at the bottom with the time/temp, and what is coming up on the news. Then the banner goes away, but the picture stays SD and the sound stays 2.0. Very unprofessional, and very annoying. I remember trying to watch the Unit on election night. Man, 2 minutes of HD 5.1, broken up with 15 minutes of SD, 2.0, to show election results at the bottom!

#11 ·
markrubi said:
THE Today show is in HD. National morning news
Did it happen in the break after one of the anchors said, "This is Today on NBC"? If so, then it was a local break. I used to work as a Master Control operator at a NBC station, and the "This is Today" verbal cue for a local break dates all the way back to day one of the program, in 1952. Even with automation systems and computerization, the Today show hews to its long history by giving the verbal cue for every local break.

#12 ·
islesfan said:
I see this a lot with locals. CBS in Reno is particularly bad for it, but NBC has run whole episodes in SD letterboxed on their HD station here. The main problem comes up when they switch on the banner at the bottom with the time/temp, and what is coming up on the news. Then the banner goes away, but the picture stays SD and the sound stays 2.0. Very unprofessional, and very annoying. I remember trying to watch the Unit on election night. Man, 2 minutes of HD 5.1, broken up with 15 minutes of SD, 2.0, to show election results at the bottom!
I just don't know why they would have election results crawling on the HD feed. I can understand it being on the SD feed but there is no point to scroll them on the HD feed. If you wanted to see the results you would switch to the SD feed.

#13 ·
FenixTX said:
I just don't know why they would have election results crawling on the HD feed. I can understand it being on the SD feed but there is no point to scroll them on the HD feed. If you wanted to see the results you would switch to the SD feed.
FCC rules dictate that they must do this for the "public interest". Not all stations follow this though and I'm glad my local CBS doesn't drop out of HD to tell me it's really windy out or raining hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.