1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Locals Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by clk, Oct 22, 2009.

1. clk

clk New Member

Oct 22, 2009
    I was recently notified by DTV that my local channels were changing from San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose to Salinas/Monterrey because the latest zip code update from neilsen had determined my zip code to be Santa Cruz county. I have been getting HD locals every since I bought the place in 2006. DTV says my new locals are not offered in HD and that this will take affect Nov. 18th. So I am thinking what the hell, lets hook this guy up with the HD package, have him buy all the HD boxes and TV's then lets downgrade his service to std def? So I contacted Dish to see if they offer HD locals and they said they do in both SF/Oak/SJ and Salinas/Monterrey. When I talked to the Dish rep she said I would get SF/Oak/SJ HD locals, when I search Dish website for my address it says I get Salinas/Monterrey HD locals. So I don't no what is going on but I don't get why Dish can offer HD locals in either area and DTV can't. What gives? Should I switch? Thanks in advance!

2. Kheldar

Kheldar Icon

Sep 5, 2004
    First of all, if DishNet's agent and their website disagree, trust the website.
    Second, it's not that "DTV can't", just that DTV doesn't. No one here or at the company will be able to tell you why they don't.

3. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    See if you can weasel free AM-21 OTA tuners for all of your HD boxes. These connect via USB port and allow recording OTA channels in HD with the use of an outside antenna. As a bonus, they also record the subchannels.

If DirecTV doesn't offer any solution at all, I'd be furious and would investigate other providers. But I'm sure DirecTV has a plan in place for other frazzled customers like you in the same situation.

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    The changes that are occurring to the DMA boundaries will affect both DirecTV and Dish customers in the same way. The sat companies have no control over this.
    I think the suggestion to try to get AM21 tuners is a good one!