HD Movie Download time questions?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by rlm, Jul 23, 2014.

1. rlm

rlm New Member

Aug 18, 2010
    My Comcast ISP download internet time measures consistently at 26 Mbps using all my wireless PC's.

It is my understanding that a HD Direct TV Movie is 4 GB for a 2 hour movie, approximately 2 GB per hour.

So based upon Internet Measuring Tools to download a 2 Hour HD movie at the above speeds factoring in 50% Direct TV internet overhead is about 30 minutes.

http://www.numion.com/calculators/time.html

Yesterday I downloaded a full HD 84 minute movie from 1501 HBO on Demand.

I am connected wireless to my router via the DTV Cinema Adapter so the download time should be equivalent to those measurements using my PC's.

The download time took 3 hours, 45 minutes.

For test purposes I downloaded a 1 GB file on one of my wireless connected PC's and it took approximately 5 minutes

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html

Something is not computing here with Direct TV.

What am I missing?

Comments?

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Your bandwidth to receive is just part of the equation. DIRECTV's bandwidth to send is the other part of the equation and it clearly isn't enough to keep your pipe full (nor could it reasonably be). Ideally, the download time would probably be something near real time as it isn't necessary to send the program any faster than you can view it. Most of the time, I'd guess it does run close to real time but if you choose to start your download during peak traffic, it may be considerably slower.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Generally" 9 Mb/s is about as fast as you get from DirecTV and "in most cases" this is just faster than needed for watching as you're downloading.
    MPEG-4 bit-rates vary, but 4 GB for 2 hours of HD isn't right. More like 3.4-4.0 GB "per hour".
    You might look at other OnDemand channels and see if it's "just HBO" or all of them.
    Starz seemed to be faster than SHO "for me".
    Some have found it's only "a program" and others don't have the problem.

If you've got better than 11 Mb/s "you should" be able to have just slightly better than 1:1 speeds

4. mrmojo

mrmojo Mentor

Feb 11, 2008
    rlm - you are not the only one. I have reported issues with HBO On Demand in the HD receiver forum. For me it started around the time I got the last s/w update for my HD DVR. I only have 10 Mb/s d/l speeds from my ISP but until then I could download (using the record option) a HD movie from HBO On Demand at a 1:1 ratio and if I selected "Watch Now" it would be 2-3:1 ratio (I could d/l an episode of "Silicon Valley" in less than 10 minutes). Now it takes forever to use the record option and watch now is no longer a viable option. I reported this to DirecTV and they say they are aware of an issue and suggest using the "record" option for HBO On Demand even though I told them this was also slow! :bang