1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Packages

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ShaneHD, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneHD

ShaneHD AllStar

Aug 14, 2007
    So I am a D* customer. I have HD and an HD receiver. I NEVER watch the SD channels anymore. Is D* coming out with an HD Only package, where you only pay for the HD channels and nothing else?

I dont see the point in paying for SD channels I am never going to watch.

2. captain_video

captain_video Icon

Nov 21, 2005
    They don't have such a package at the moment but that's always subject to change. Right now you're paying for the basic package and getting the HD channels thrown in for free. If you have an HD capable receiver or DVR then you're paying the $9.99 premium for the HD access fee. The way it works is if you get a standard definition channel as part of whatever package you subscribe to then you also get the HD equivalent as part of the same package, at least if there's one available.

The standard def mpeg2 channels aren't going to disappear anytime soon since the vast majority of subscribers get them without any HD extras. If and when every mpeg2 channel has an mpeg4 HD counterpart then I could see the mpeg2 programming get eliminated and everyone will then have access to nothing but HD channels. You can still watch HD programming on a standard def set by using the RF, composite, or S-video outputs from the receiver or DVR so any current HD receiver would be backwards compatible. The likelyhood of every channel going to Hi-Def will probably not happen, even in the distant future, so don't hold your breath. Even if it were to occur I'm not sure DirecTV has the bandwidth to offer every channel in HD. However, that's not to say they don't have something in the works to make it happen down the road. Only time will tell.

3. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    AND when that happens you won't pay any less for HD only. I would assume that you will "never" pay less for the HD than you do today.

4. ShaneHD

ShaneHD AllStar

Aug 14, 2007
    I understand this, but I only want to watch the current channels released in HD and the up coming ones in the next few months.

It's just like cable...

Make a package where I pay $30-40 a month for just the HD channels...then add more for premium channels.

5. holtzd

holtzd Cool Member

Jul 30, 2007
    D* put those Satellites in the sky to make money. If they had an HD only package you would pay just as much or more then you do now. They are going to get your money one way or another. Just create a favorites list with just the HD channels.

6. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    I feel the same way Shane, I wish DirecTV would just offer a package just with HD only channels for savings, for those who do not watch the SD channels. However it has to be profitable for them to offer the package, and technology costs money, especially sending up new satellites. I think they can despite the costs of running the business, but maybe if enough people request it, they might in the future.

7. FavreJL04

FavreJL04 Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    Im sure there will be a time in the not so distant future where that kind of package is feasable. Probably not until the digital cutoff date has come and gone and analog becomes nearly obsolete. I mean how long did it take manufacturers to make a boombox with only a CD and radio and not a tape deck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.