1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD picture quality

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by dorfd1, Feb 13, 2009.

1. dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    IS the HD picture really bad?

2. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    With Dish? No, actually it's damn good.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Curious... what prompts you to ask that question?

I'm happy with my Dish HD.

4. Calvin386

Calvin386 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    Mine is excellent. Actually people tell me I have the best HD they have seen.

5. bamanick

bamanick Mentor

Feb 23, 2007
    I'm a new Dish customer (left Directv for a couple of reasons) and I have to say my HD is very sharp. I think sometimes people watch programs on an HD channel that aren't (or maybe I should say weren't) hd programs and judge on that basis and you really can't do that.

6. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    I have a friend that has the same exact television as I do, he has D* and I have E* and he says I have the better picture, but honestly I cannot tell any difference between the two.

7. pmsmith66

pmsmith66 AllStar

Feb 12, 2003
    Very few complaints on picture quality. Every once in a while on some channels but I'm 99.9% pleased.

8. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    I find the HD PQ to be excellent. I have to laugh when I read posts like, "D* is generally believed to have the superior PQ." :) Has anyone ever done any double blind side by side comparisons under controlled conditions?

9. olds403

olds403 Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    It will also depend on what size screen you are viewing it on. The bigger the screen, the worse it will look. I am watching mine on a 60" and am generally happy although I think dish is a little softer than over-the-air HD.

10. ka8zay

ka8zay AllStar

Feb 11, 2009
    Picture quality here is excellent, I have Plasma and HD projection TV's and I have had D* and Cable and I am very happy with DISH. I found Cable to be the worst.

11. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I didn't do a 'double blind.. yada,yada,yada' test, but I squinted! :)

When I made the switch from E to D, I watched both side by side. The HD was different on each, but I didn't think one was better than the other. If I had to describe the difference, I would call E's slightly softer.

But honestly, after a couple of days with either, I doubt you would notice it.

12. et121212

et121212 Cool Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Have had cable HD, OTA HD and Dish Network HD. I'd say Dish (component)<Dish(HDMI) ~ OTA. Cable HD (Charter) is obviously worse than any of the above.

Never had any experience with DirectTV HD (although I watch Direct TV at the office daily; we have zoomed SD picture on plasma TV's-- a terrible waste of plasma TV).

13. kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    If you'd ever had the chance to see the HD feeds of the same channels as downlinked directly from the provider, you'd be surprised at how much better it can look than what DISH is sending out.

That having been said, I'd say E*'s HD is pretty good, D*'s is OK and cable quite often is horrible.

FIOS on the other hand can look quite good.

I also remember when OTA ATSC HD looked incredible; with the increasing addition of subchannels, that era is long gone.

So to get back to the original question, no, it isn't horrible, but it's also not as good as it could be…

14. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    I agree that is the case with my 65". I do prefer OTA. And currently record what I can OTA due to the CC problems with my local CBS and NBC affiliates.

15. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    Just because it's OTA doesn't mean it looks great. I've noticed many OTA sports events that have quite a bit of macroblocking and compress artifacts, especially basketball and other things with lots of movement.

To be honest, it's extremely hard to tell the difference usually between my OTA HD and Dish HD on the same channel, and I've done lots of A/B flipping back and forth comparison. Some looks good, some looks mediocre, just depends.

OTOH, I've seen some satellite-based HD that looks extremely well with very little artifacts; many of the movie channels look great I think because they are pre-compressed with multi-pass compression, which is much better than on-the-fly live compression.

16. olds403

olds403 Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    When I speak of OTA being sharper on my TV vs Dish I am comparing primetime HD programming. I don't watch sports at all so that does not concern me. I watch programs like Fringe on Fox and other primetime dramas, these look quite a bit sharper than the same programming via Dish.

17. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    And that is why it has been said many times that picture quality is a personal opinion. It depends on the programming, equipment, channel, personal perception, etc.

18. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    There is much less compression viewing OTA channels vs. Dish delivered channels. I think that produces a much sharper picture.

19. rocket69

rocket69 AllStar

Oct 26, 2008
    Dish PQ is top of the line as far as consumer sat goes. PBS HD via FTA box is just as good as OTA PQ.

We have customers come in all the time asking what service is better we alwas say dish as far as hardware and picture quality and show them the same chanel at the same time running on dish and direct.. 70% of them can see the crisp and sharp picture of dish vs direct.The other 30% need to get new glasses. If customer is willing to spend $199 extra every year to sub to a sports pack MLB/NFL then direct is for you...

Cant wate and see what the quality on direct will look like once they max out the 2 new birds..

Dish has 3 birds at 110, and 3 at 119 (Some transponders rented to direct) and 2 at 129 chances of dish running out of space probly not till 2011 when the next birds fly.

20. Jack White

Jack White Icon

Sep 17, 2002
    OTA,FiosTV, 4DTV, and even some cable companies have WAY WAY better picture quality than Dish.