HD Pixelation

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by patrick77, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrick77

patrick77 Cool Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I have read other threads related to this but I did not find any definitive answers, perhaps there aren't any. I have a ViP622 and a Samsung 1080p DLP TV. During fast motion I can have pretty bad pixelation. For instance on the Planet Earth series, any time there was a flock of birds flying it was bad. The worst instance was on the movie King Kong shown on HBOHD in the scene where the dinosaurs are falling down the cliff; it was unwatchable.

Is this the state of HD or is there something I can do to improve it?

Thanks
    Patrick

2. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    At the bitrates satellite is using (and even OTA) when the entire screen is undergoing rapid random pixel changes, the data stream and compression algorithms cannot keep up with the data, so you get boxing to compensate.

I have seen this on PBS, NBC and other OTA channels also, it is one of the shortcomings of digital broadcasting.

3. johnsbin

johnsbin AllStar

Nov 14, 2002
    What are your settings on the receiver output to your tv and what connection are you using from receiver to tv?

I have a 720p HD projector and have watched Planet Earth on a 90" screen with no pixelation. Getting the right settings for both ends makes a big difference.

When they show hundreds of thousands of birds from overhead, it is awesome!

4. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame

Feb 22, 2005
    I'll second what Jim5506 said. Depending on the source it may be minor or down right annoying. I find that Discovery HD is pretty bad for macro blocking during fast motion scenes and see exactly what you saw on Planet Earth. My local NBC, CBS, and PBS stations are other stations that are bad for me and that's because all of them multi-cast and reduce the maximum available bandwidth to their HD channels. My local FOX and ABC on the other hand look fantastic. I have a Pioneer 720p Plasma and I see this whether I'm outputting 720p or 1080i. As far as HBO, I have to say I can't recall any specific issues with that scene in King Kong but it's been a while since I've seen it on there. I know I see occasional macro blocking there but it's not as bad as Discovery HD or the OTA stations I mentioned above.

5. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    I've got a new 61" Sammy 1080p coupled with a 622 and rarely have problems with PQ.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.