1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD PPV Movie Selection

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by lakebum431, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lakebum431

lakebum431 Icon

Jun 30, 2005
    Is it just me or does the HD PPV channel always have pretty crappy movies? This is an option that I would take advantage of on a regular basis if the selections were better.

2. mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    I agree.

This is one area where Dish could make some extra $$$ off me. I have been dying to watch a HD PPV but they NEVER have anything worth watching on.

3. the_bear

the_bear Godfather

Oct 18, 2004
    Many studios have chosen not to release HD versions of their movies. This effects all HD content providers, not just Dish. If HD versions of the movies are widely pirated, no one will buy the lower quality DVD version. These studios are hoping someone will invent an unbreakable copy protection before releasing the movies. At least that is the logic?

4. lakebum431

lakebum431 Icon

Jun 30, 2005
    Yeah, i understand that is the case. It just stinks. I would utilize the PPV option a great deal more if there were decent movies in HD. I just can't justify paying 4 bucks to watch something in 4:3 format on my widescreen when I can go to the blockbuster 2 mins from my house and get the same move for $1 more with the wide screen.

5. ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    Well check out the 6 minute preview of A Killer Within with C Thomas Howell, LOL just as they are about to do it on a desk the preview is over.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Do what? :confused: :shrug:

7. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    I also have been waiting for a good movie in HD PPV.

Let me understand something...Can't the providers (Dish/DirectTV, etc) make some kind of contract to get exclusive rights to purchase, lease or just get royalties from the providers. This way only they will have a copy of the HD version and the studios can get a portion of the money that the providers get for showing the movie. I bet you they make more money that way than saling the DVDs

8. RBenson

RBenson AllStar

Jan 24, 2003
    I wouldn't pay $6.00 fo an HD movie no matter how good it was. Regular movies should be $2.99 and HD $3.99. I bet there would be many more PPV's rented at these prices and Dish would make more than at current prices. I have not used PPV just because of the pricing. At $2.99 I would... I'm a cheepskate :D

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I think the fear is that if they allow anyone even an "exclusive" HD broadcast too soon, that good quality bootlegs from that will be recorded and sent around the food chain for people... thus killing not only future viewings on PPV or pay channels but denting their DVD sales as well.

The flip side, of course, is if this is really as much of a problem as they fear... they would be well-suited to hurry up and approve an HD-DVD standard to encourage folks to honestly pay the money to buy the movies.

But in the past the movie studios jerked around video recorders and DVD formats under these "fears" long enough that they actually hurt their own sales once they gave in to those concepts.

Ultimately most people will buy good quality things that are priced fairly... and the movie studios could actually really shine if they would take advantage of emerging technologies rather than fight them for years.

10. datwell

datwell Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 26, 2005
    I have yet to buy one. $6 is entirely too much and I have yet to see any "compelling content."

--Doug

11. lakebum431

lakebum431 Icon

Jun 30, 2005
    I'd pay the $6 just for the convenience of it if they would ever put anything on there that I would want to watch.

12. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Icon

Jun 16, 2004
    By the time a movie gets to any Dish PPV channel I usually have already seen it or don't think it would be worth the money to buy and wait a little longer for it to come on HBO.

13. jbach

jbach Mentor

Jul 18, 2005
    But plenty of movies show up in HD eventually on HBO/Showtime etc. Is it a timing thing?

14. lakebum431

lakebum431 Icon

Jun 30, 2005
    Great question jbach. I had the same thought earlier and got busy doing other things and forgot to ask.

15. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Timing and money...

IF they showed it in HD on PPV already, then HBO/SHO wouldn't want to pay as much for airing it later since it wouldn't be a "first"... also, by the time it hits HBO/SHO it is coming out in DVD for people to buy or will be very soon...

There's a lot of "big business" and number crunching going on at the movie studios so they can maximize their post-theater profits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.