1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD progamming

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jcookpb, May 31, 2009.

1. jcookpb

jcookpb Cool Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Is it just me or is there squadoosh for HD programming on channels like MTVHD, VH1HD, CMTHD, and FuelTVHD?

Why have them and not AMCHD, TravelHD and E!HD?

2. phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215 Icon

Nov 4, 2007
    It's not just you. Those channels have been CRAP for a long time as far as carrying HD content.

3. Jun 1, 2009 #3 of 19
    MLBurks

MLBurks Icon

Dec 16, 2005
    They've been crap for what they carry period. Completely useless channels IMO.

4. Jun 1, 2009 #4 of 19
    bgilga

bgilga Legend

Jul 28, 2006
    I agree. These channels have been a waste since day one. Travel HD, ESPNU HD, WGN HD , and all the HBO's would have been nice. I guess we play with the hand we are dealt

5. Jun 1, 2009 #5 of 19
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    We have a thread already talking about this here

6. Jun 1, 2009 #6 of 19
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    You have a valid point about the HD content on these channels... The problem though is that these channels are mostly owned by Viacom... and Viacom negotiated their deal with DirecTV across the board and all at once. The limited amount of material they convey in HD does at least show that they have the equipment in place... and they had it in place early in the game and negotiated their position with DirecTV. The other channels you mention were not ready at the time.

I am sure Viacom views this as a "we have it and when we want to use it we don't have to wait" kind of situation.

I condemn Viacom for failure to take advantage of what they have, but applaud them for getting their ducks in a row early and fast. AMC, Travel Channel and E! were not ready to convert at that time.

Larry

7. Jun 1, 2009 #7 of 19
    durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    You're such a fanboy! ;)

Honestly, thank you for helping to explain that programming can be a very complex matter.

8. Jun 1, 2009 #8 of 19
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    ;) Careful with that word, "fanboy." I'll gladly embrace it but others might take it as an insult.

9. Jun 1, 2009 #9 of 19
    dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Its u....the mtv awards were HD last night.

10. hdthebest

hdthebest Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    More and more HD programming are popping on these channels..I saw the real world/road rules challenge in HD...and some VHI one shows as well...The ONLY channel that has no HD programming is Fuel HD

11. jcookpb

jcookpb Cool Member

Oct 11, 2007
    word

12. MLBurks

MLBurks Icon

Dec 16, 2005
    I don't think that I am young and hip enough to understand what that means.:scratch:

13. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    No, you just have a higher vocabulary.:lol:

14. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    "Oh stewardess, I speak jive."

jccopb is simply affirming and agreeing with the statement of hdthebest.

15. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    While I rarely watch those channels, just remember, one person's crap is another person's favorites. The fact that they are wasting HD bandwidth by not showing HD content is a different and valid issue.

16. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    That's the bottom line: there are lots and lots of factors that go into whether or not a show is produced in HD. Money, equipment, sublicensing, post-production, and much more must be considered.

Many of these channels produce a lot of original content, and for many of them, I'm sure there wasn't a budget for HD. As HD equipment becomes less expensive and more common, you'll see newer productions moving to HD by default.

17. mstenbrg

mstenbrg AllStar

Oct 2, 2006
    What I do not understand is why they window box shows. If they were shot in HD, why not show it in HD.

18. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    What I can't figure out is why FX and Disney show movies from their own companies as letterboxed, uprezzed SD instead of full-screen HD. They certainly have the rights to do so.

19. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    I was shocked that had some of the Star Wars movies in HD last week. Nothing like watching a movie, MTV style: 5 minutes of movie, 20 minutes of commercials. :lol:

Another one of questionable usefulness is Cartoon Network. One show once a week shown once in HD, the rest in stretch-o-vision. Even the reruns of the HD show are not in HD! That and Fuel TV kill me. Fuel, while in the correct aspect ratio, has yet to show any real HD that I know of. And despite pleas to the contrary, I still haven't actually caught any HD on CMT myself even though several folks on here have seen some. It still can't be much, certainly less than what the guide shows.

And since the title of this thread is "HD programming" I'll go on to say what a pet peeve it is of mine to see the HD graphic so misused in the guide. Everything on TBS is listed as HD, so is everything on the Science Channel... Except that both channels show a lot of screwup-up SD content; TBS stretches and Science/Discovery do 14:9 compromise, which cuts off writing on the bottom of the screen.

Stuff like that really steams my potatoes.