1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hd program costs

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Neilh, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neilh

Neilh Mentor

Nov 22, 2005
    Sorry but I dont feel there is enough HD material on dish to charge $30 month, OR if you dont want HD they want to charge you $6 month for the privledge of not receiving HD.What gives

2. IowaStateFan

IowaStateFan Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    The HD packs cost $20 more than the equivilent AT pack. If that's not worth it to you then don't get an HD receiver. You can still get an AT pack and they won't charge you for not having HD.

3. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    If he wants to use the OTA tuner, yes they charge you $6 to enable it if he doesn't get the pack

4. IowaStateFan

IowaStateFan Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    True, but why buy a Dish HD receiver just for the OTA tuner? There are stand alone OTA tuners available that wouldn't include a monthly charge.

5. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004

You are right, the HD Pack costs $20 if you subscribe to a metalic package.

However, if you subscribe to the Stand Alone HD Pack, they gouge the customer with a 50% increase which comes to a whopping $30! That is what Neilh was referring to.

I am only paying $15 for the old HD Pack + Voom. I am grandfathered with the old plan, which you can keep with the 211/411/622 if you purchase the hardware. Since you mentioned $30 for the new HD Pack, it sounds like you own your hardware, because you can't subscribe to that if you don't own.

6. IowaStateFan

IowaStateFan Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    Sorry forgot about the standalone HD pack. What's this about being grandfathered in on the old HD Pack? I have a 921 AT120+locals+HD Pack (no voom). Are you saying I can purchase the 622 and keep that plan? That's the first I've heard of that. Not sure it's worth it because for me the lease price is $99 vs purchase price of $699.

7. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    You can keep that plan if you migrate from a 921 to a purchased 622.

I think that 921s are going for around $250 to $350 on EBay right now. So, if you can get a 622 for $650, the price to upgrade is going to be around $350. If you have the old HD Pack by itself, it will cost you $30/mo with all the stupid "access fees", guide data fees (local channels), and DVR fees. It will cost you about $70/mo to do the same if you lease cause you are forced to order at least bronze. When you lease you are signing the 18 month commitment. $40 x 18 months = $720, more than the cost of the receiver.

I sold my 942 for over $500, so the upgrade to the 622 didn't cost me hardly anything, and I wasn't forced to lease, I own the receiver.

In your case, the savings are not as dramatic because you have AT120. I didn't want SD programming, so the savings are very significant. For you, however, just take the cost of what the silver package + lease fee + locals + DVR fee would be and subtract that from your current bill, and you will find out what you save every month by doing the old HD Pack. See what it costs you over the cost of the course of their "commitment".

8. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Why are you buying a new receiver if you're sticking with the old pack?

9. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    what you are failing to consider neil, is in those AT packages are $6 fees for admin costs basically. All packages have that base $6 usage fee, then the price of the "package" makes the $39.99 or such. so when HD is "added" to an AT, that $6 is already there. So in reality, $26 is the lowest a standalone could be, but also factor in that dish is making other profits off the AT's that would allow for HD to be less expensive, so they basically are asking for an extra $4 to cover the losses to them for not getting an AT pack.

so you aren't being ripped off 50%. You are paying $4 more than anyone else pays for HD, that's it.

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The answer is simple... don't get one of the new HD receivers!

Why would you want one if you (seemingly) don't want HD?

11. IowaStateFan

IowaStateFan Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    To get rid of my pos 921 :mad:

12. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    A couple of reasons. The first one is MPEG-4 locals at no extra charge! With my OTA reception, it will mean I can record 3 network shows simultaneously!

2nd is that the MPEG-2 dvrs only have a one year shelf life left in them. Their value is going to be nil around March, 2007 when MPEG-2 HD will be turned off. May as well sell the old one now while it still has value left in it.

13. Neilh

Neilh Mentor

Nov 22, 2005
    under the old plan if you paid annually you got 12 months for 11 ,so when I look at the hd with 120 channels its about $ 30 more a month for hd with IMO not much programming avail in HD, Iwill get hd already because of my movie packs plus no HD avail in my area for locals

14. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004

No offense, but I couldn't follow what you are saying. All packages have a $6 "access fee" built in, provided that they are *qualified programming*. The Stand Alone HD Pack (at $30/mo) is NOT qualified programming, and you have to pay that $6 extra. Oddly enough the family pack at $20/mo is qualified programming, and the $6/mo is already built in.

If you have a 622 w/o any HD programming, you have to pay $6 extra, and THEY DISABLE THE OTA TUNER TO PREVENT YOU FROM GETTING HD!

If you want the 622 with *only* local channels, this is what it will cost:
    $6/mo local channels + $6/mo "access fee" + $6/mo "NO HD fee, disable OTA tuner" + $6/mo DVR fee. Total: $24/mo, locals only!

If you want the 622 stand alone HD Pack, it will cost you $30/mo + $6 access fee + $6/mo for guide data (local channels) + $6/mo DVR fee. That is $48/mo.

If you purchase the Bronze package, it will cost you $50/mo + $6/mo for guide data (local channels) + $6/mo DVR fee. In this case, the "access fee" is included in the price because the AT60 is *qualified programming*. The HD Pack costs you $20 in bronze, it costs you $30 for the Stand Alone HD Pack, which does NOT include the "access fee", you have to pay that separate.

$20/mo + 50% (gouge rate) = $30/mo.

15. kayeevee

kayeevee New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    I get OTA access with 811 without any programming subscription.
    I get all the local TV schedules through the dish but of course,
    no other channels.

16. IowaStateFan

IowaStateFan Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    Are you sure about this? It is my understanding that you can avoid the fee by having the OTA tuner disabled. Here is the wording from the terms and conditions on E*'s website:

"HD Enabling Fee: A $6.00 per month HD enabling fee will charged to your account if any model 411, ViP211 or ViP622 DVR receiver is activated and enabled with the capacity to receive high definition programming (including without limitation via an off-air antenna). This fee will be waived on a monthly basis if you subscribe to DishHD Bronze, DishHD Silver, DishHD Gold, DishHD Platinum, DishLATINO HD Bronze, DishLATINO HD Silver, DishLATINO HD Gold, or DishLATINO HD Platinum, or if the capacity of all such receivers to receive high definition programming has been disabled by DISH Network at your request. "

I read this to say you have 3 choices: 1) Pay the fee, 2)subscribe to a metal hd pack, 3)disable the OTA HD tuner.

17. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    I think you are right IowaStateFan! It sounds like you pay the $6/mo fee to enable the OTA tuner, which is waived if you subscribe to HD programming.

I think the result is the same though. If you want to subscribe to only locals, and receive OTA, then you will have to pay an extra $6/mo.

Thanks for the clarification!

18. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004

The 811 is a great machine in that regard. You don't have to pay to enable the OTA tuner. And the really great one is that you don't have to pay for guide data, that is you don't have to subscribe to locals to get guide data! I wish the other recievers worked that way.

19. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    The terms of the DISH'n It Up agreement by which MOST people get their 622 differ slightly, but not substantially.

HD Enabling Fee: A non-refundable $6.00 per
    month HD enabling fee will be charged to your account for each model ViP211 or ViP622 receiver for which the capacity to receive high definition
    programming (including without limitation via an off-air antenna) has been enabled. This fee will be waived on a monthly basis if you subscribe to
    DishHD Bronze, DishHD Silver, DishHD Gold, DishHD Platinum, DishLATINO HD Bronze, DishLATINO HD Silver, DishLATINO HD Gold, or
    DishLATINO HD Platinum, or if the applicable receiver’s capacity to receive high definition programming has been disabled by DISH Network at
    your request. You may call us at 800-333-DISH to request that we disable the high definition functionality on your receiver(s).

It is disappointing that DISH doesn't provide that agreement, but someone did make it available at http://members.iphouse.com/bert/dishnitup18.pdf
    That and the quoted DHA agreement only cover a LEASED 622. Maybe they will update the Residential Agreement to include purchased MPEG4 receivers.

The $5.98 DVR fee and the $6 HD Enabling fee can be waived by programming subscription. The $5 Additional Outlet Programming Access Fee: can be waived by connecting to the phone line. Whether the DIU $6 lease fee can be waived for the first/only receiver is still in deliberations.

20. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Icon

Jun 16, 2004
    It sounds to me that the stand alone HD pack doesn't wave either the access fee or the hd fee. Does anyone actually subscribe to the standalone pack?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.