1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Receiver doesn't pass analog OTA signals???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SouthernSky, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthernSky

SouthernSky Legend

Jul 15, 2003
    DirecTV H-10 with an all-digital plasma large screen. Three SD regular TV's in the house, hooked up to the same dish outside with a Terk 44 dish antenna and diplexed at the back of each of the four receivers are able to pick up all the analog stations.

Yet on the digital TV, only digital stations come through. How can I get analog channels (like analog channel 5, not digital channel 5-1) to come through? Since not all local stations broadcast in digital here (and we don't get locals through satellite yet), how can I get the regular channels on the digital TV?

I'm getting desperate. Thanks in advance!

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    YOu need an NTSC tuner....like a VCR, or standalone analog tuner....

The HD recievers only have ATSC tuners IIRC...and apparently your tv has nothing, or ATSC only?

3. SouthernSky

SouthernSky Legend

Jul 15, 2003

There is nothing in the TV manual about ATSC/NTSC so I don't know. Would a brand new high-end TV not have NTSC capability integrated within?

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Very possible. Some high end tv's are really nothing more than a very expensive monitor with extra cost options for tuners or inputs. You might have a tuner, or you might have to buy one, or you may not even be able to add one. Depends on the tv. I would ask the dealer where you purchased it.

Carl

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Was your tv an HD monitor, meaning no tuners, or does it have an actual RF coaxial input like a regular tv? The marketing terms can be confusing or sometimes even misleading, like HD-Ready, HD Monitor, etc...digital cable ready...

6. SouthernSky

SouthernSky Legend

Jul 15, 2003
    Well, there was no coax input but most of the HD sets I've seen don't use them, instead going for component video or HDMI.

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If there is no coaxial input on the tv, how would the signal get to any tuner built-in to the set? Component or HDMI connections are strictly video inputs, meaning the tuner is in the external device. You must be primarily looking at HD capable sets, not sets with tuners built-in....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.