1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Receiver - One Satellite input

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Casey21, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Casey21

Casey21 Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Hi-
    I moved a HD TV and HD DVR to the bedroom where we previously had a SD set up. Problem is we only have one satellite input coming out of the wall instead of 2. So I can only hook up satellite 1 on the back of the box. This means I can't get all channels including the locals. Is there anyway to solve this issue short of pulling another satellite cable to the bedroom? Thanks.

2. moghedien

moghedien Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    Sounds like a job for the Single Wire Multiwitch(SWM)...

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Sure;

Convert to a SWiM setup if you haven't already. This is exactly why SWiM was created, to deal with situations like this. :)

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Oh, and BTW;

Even with a non-SWIM or "legacy" install you can still receive all the channels you had before on the DVR with only one satellite input, just not at the same time on the second "background" satellite tuner for recording, double play buffering, etc., while you are watching and buffering live TV on the first or "foreground" tuner.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    As Hotat2 stated, you should be receiving all the channels, just only have use of 1 of the 2 tuners. This receiver was not being served by a different dish was it? For example, did you have an HD setup, and keep your old SD Tivo on its own legacy dish?

6. Casey21

Casey21 Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Thanks all. Figured it out. Just needed to change the set up under menu since it was set up to use both tuners for a previous tv. Just need tuner 1 this time around. Don't care right now about taping one show and watching another in the bedroom. Just wanted all of my channels.

Yes, we will be moving to SWM. In order to do so we'll need a new dish. Since we had issues with directv recently they will be setting up the SWM and genie for free. We're waiting until summer as that is when we'll want to make the change. Thanks again! :)