1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Receiver + Storm Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by corpx, Sep 14, 2009.

1. corpx

corpx AllStar

Sep 7, 2009
    Not really a storm, but there was moderate rain outside and the HR22 froze up. Restarted it and still nothing. Occasionally would show some picture, but then would freeze up again. I checked the other receivers in the house (both SD) and they both worked fine.

I checked the signal levels in the HD box and they were ~75. I called tech support and since we joined DirecTV last week, they were going to send somebody out to come take a look at the Dish. Error code said that Dish might not be aligned properly. It had worked fine for the past week till tonight, when it started to rain.

I only expected TV to go out when it was really storming, and not for your average rain shower. Anyone have any insights as to whether the issue was weather related or due to a bad install?

2. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The HD channels are carried on frequencies that are more subject to rain fade than the SD channels. Also, the real culprit is usually the clouds, which are between you and the satellite, so it is possible that the clouds were heavy, even when the rain wasn't.

However, your best bet is what you have done. Let the tech come out and make sure the dish is aligned the best possible. That will give you the best protection against rain fade.

3. slls

slls Cool Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I will get rain fade on HD, I learned to switch to SD to continue viewing.

4. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    You want to get all of your signal strengths into the 90's if possible, this will minimize ran fade. Also keep in mind, the cause of the rain fade is between you and the satellites... It can be poring down rain at your house and you notice minimal fade effects... but here in Atlanta (the sats are gnerally over south texas) we get the most rain fade when the storm is to our southwest.

5. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Larry, I'll bet your rain fade is very similar to mine since Atlanta usually gets Birmingham's weather about six or eight hours later. The weather moves west to east, but the storm front will be a diagonal line along a southwest to northeast vector. Since the satellites are off to the southwest, the dish looks parallel or "long ways" right through the front. Our rain fade generally occurs just minutes before the hardest downpours, and only lasts for a few minutes.

6. anitag0122

anitag0122 Cool Member

Jun 13, 2009
    At the risk of sounding stupid, where do you find the signal numbers people talk about?

7. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    On a DirecTV branded receiver menu button, Parental Fav's & Setup --> System Setup --> Satellite --> View Signal Strength

8. corpx

corpx AllStar

Sep 7, 2009
    Well it rained again today and this time, all the receivers went out. Hopefully the tech can fix this tomorrow.

Losing signal 2 times within a week of signing up for DirecTV is not good.

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Around the time of a heavy storm, you are most likely going to lose signal, there is no way around that....please post your clear sky signal strengths so we can help you troubleshoot.

10. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    My initial install sounds like a carbon copy of what you are going through now. The first tech came out and set everything up, but didn't really tweek the dish, sooooooo I was loosing signal every time a cloud drifted by, D* sent out a different tech and he resolved the problem by properly aligning the sat dish. Hang in there, it's a great service, and like any other business, some personnel are more qualified than others, but all in all they really try.:)

11. corpx

corpx AllStar

Sep 7, 2009
    New guy came and changed the connectors, but I dont think he messed with the dish much. I personally liked the second guy much better and he even said that the first installer should not have charged us $75 to put the dish on the ground.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. TheDurk

TheDurk Legend

Mar 8, 2007
    Installer (HD upgrade) charged me $100 to put AU-9 in the ground since existing 101° only location could not see 110°. One phone call and a fax and DirectTV reimbursed me (bill credit). Worth a try for you.

After a week, we got a storm and major signal fade ensued. I decided to play with the dish myself (I had done both my Dish 300 and my DirectTV myself.) The dufus had not tightened the azimuth locking bolt--you could rotate the whole thing with a finger. One cell call to Jr. inside on the couch and we had it repeaked. Jr. is good with a remote control. Then the leaves came out in April and 119° died. It was within 90 days so DirectTV had to move it for free. Good thing I installed in March and not November. At least they left it tight, this time. My message: If you don't have that protection plan (I don't), work that 90-day guarantee until install is perfect.

But they are right, get past the initial problems, and it is a wonderful service. Welcome. Oh, and keep an eye on your bill, they tend to screw things up at first, and, to be honest, any time you change something. A phone call usually straightens it out.

13. anitag0122

anitag0122 Cool Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Thanks so much for the reply on how to locate signal strength. I have another question that may not be related to signal strength, but maybe someone can offer a suggestion. I have 5 TV's. The picture on 4 of them is perfect (when the signal isn't going in and out:); however, on one of the sets there is a lot of interference that I can only describe as colored confetti/snow. It is so bad at times you can't watch a program. Other times it is just an irritation. I hate to call DTV if it's something I can correct myself.

14. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    That sounds more like an electrical interference problem or even a possible ground issue on that power outlet.

15. xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    I agree with *most* of that. More often then not, new D* customer's billing tends to get messed up if changed right before/after install/activation. But generally speaking, after that it's clear sailing unless you get a really incompetent CSR. In which case, you should hang up before any changes are made and call back and say you got 'disconnected' :D