HD receiver temperature

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by psuscott0483, Aug 28, 2017.

1. psuscott0483

psuscott0483 Godfather

Apr 16, 2009
    Douglassvill...
    I see the DVR models display internal temperature readings... possibly the hard drive temperature? I am curious about the HD stand alone boxes and clients with no HDD. They feel very warm to the touch even when offline. Not able to find in the settings an internal temperature to verify. I have 3 H24 and sitting on top of them 6 H25 and 1 C41 all stacked in a vertical row. Do I need to worry about putting fans in place, spacers, etc? They are in a wide open area in a basement, not enclosed in a cabinet. Thanks for the feedback in advance.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    pacers are good, if it open compartment, then no fan require

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I wouldn’t stack them on top of each other directly and in a cabinet. But they always will run warm. Spaces and even a fan if it’s enclosed space are not bad ideas... but temps are in more info of the recover info. So settings to info to more info...

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What does that mean?

Rich

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have always used spacers when stacking devices. I've never seen any heat problems. If you do get a fan failure the device should turn off. I've pulled the fan plug out in a couple DVRs over the years, first time was on a D* TiVo. It shut off quickly and a window explaining why it shut off appeared. I think they all do that, but I've never had a shutdown caused by anything other than my curiosity. They appear to have adequate thermal protection, tho.

When I had a STB for cable I do remember the STBs getting really hot. I put an ammeter on one box and was kinda surprised. Didn't come out high but the box was...I could touch it without getting burned, but it was a lot warmer than I thought it should be. Still don't get that.

Rich

6. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Huh?

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Go to settings
    Go to info and test
    Go to more info
    Scroll down till you find it

8. psuscott0483

psuscott0483 Godfather

Apr 16, 2009
    Douglassvill...
    I am unable to find temperature on both the h24 model and the h25 in the "more system info" option I have had them stacked for many years and while they feel quite warm to the touch they are no hotter than the swm16. perhaps it's just the nature of the equipment. thanks

9. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I wouldn't stack them without spacers, but at least the DVRs have temperature sensors that will warn you when they are getting too hot.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think he might have been talking about your post, still don't know what you meant.

Rich

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Right, and they'll shut off if they get too hot. Most electrical devices (they are "electrical" first and "electronic" second) have thermal protection these days.

Rich

12. psuscott0483

psuscott0483 Godfather

Apr 16, 2009
    Douglassvill...
    so -- have we determined the normal HD boxes with no hard drive do not monitor temperature or shut off? I have had them stacked for about 5yr with no issues. However, in light of learning the HD boxes are being phased out (if what DTV said is true) and may be harder to come by in the future I want to prolong the life of these. presuming directv does not sell "spacers" what is the best solution you would suggest? type of material? runners that lift by the outer edge allowing free air movement underneith would be my assumption. thanks all

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    really HD ? not SD ?

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    nope
    get from DIY rubber feet 1/2" tall

15. psuscott0483

psuscott0483 Godfather

Apr 16, 2009
    Douglassvill...
    That's what they said. For the first time in half a decade I called CS and waited on hold for awhile until I listened to three people tell me they could offer genie clients for free but not HD tuner boxes. Despite the website saying otherwise. Then after hours of disputing I finally ordered 2 HD receivers and 1 free client. The service install day comes and I learn the tech needs to drive 1.5hr to a warehouse where they still have HD boxes and will meet the 8-12 install window perhaps later in the afternoon. All said and done, my experience tells me that the HD boxes are being phased out for genie and clients. But perhaps that is not the norm?

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Something like this works nicely. Put a spot of glue on them so they will not slip out of place. There are many choices for the sizes and lengths.
    https://www.amazon.com/Nylon-Spacer...rd_wg=LeVcD&psc=1&refRID=W751YZG6169SCMBHPVXM

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    For some reason I saved the spreader bar of a hammock. When I needed spacers I looked for something about an inch thick and the wooden spreader bar fit the bill. I sawed off a few pieces and they worked perfectly. I cut them so they would run from the front of a DVR to the back.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ