1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Signal with 3LNB 18X20"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by hartwa, Jul 30, 2010.

1. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    Hi...

I am hoping that someone can help.

I have have been taking a Bedroom reciever up to our cabin where I had an 18" round dish installed. We get HD channels when at home but not at the cabin with the 18" dish.

I went on EBay and purchased a 3 LNB 18X20" dish. The add said that it was capable of recieving HD signals. I installed it and still only get the SD channels. I got good signal strength...90's on most. There was one sat and trans down at 60...

Shouldn't the HD channels just appear like they do at home? I appreciate any help anyone can offer...

Thanks..

Hartwa

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I bet that's the old phase III dish and it doesn't get the "new HD" channels.
    The old ones came off the 110 & 119 SATs, but the new ones [all] come off the 99 & 103 SATs.

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Nope, the 3lnb phase 3 dish/lnb no longer gets any HD. You need a slimline dish with either a SL3 or SL5 lnb.

4. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    thanks guys... I am going to give that guy on Ebay some negative feedback.

5. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Try to work it out with him first... there's a slim chance he could have bad information instead of just simply trying to mislead you...

6. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    He wasn't entirely wrong. The original HD signals using MPEG2 were on the 110 SAT plus the 119 as VOS stated, which that Dish supported. Before giving the negative feedback, perhaps he will give you a refund if you explain his info was out of date. You can refer him to dbstalk.

If he's smart he won't ask you to ship the dish back since its value is limited at best.

7. TITAN_53

TITAN_53 Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=139735

If you want to do a little bit of work you may be able to pull HD with that dish you have. Check this thread out. I've used the old 3 LNB dish with a SL-3 LNB to pull HD while camping. This isn't approved by Directv in any way and unless you are kind of handy you may not want to mess with it but it's an option. This setup will also be more likely to lose signal than the slimline dish during storms because of the smaller reflector.

If your setup will be a permanent installation then the slimline would probably be best.

8. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
  9. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    That one will work but it is using the multiswitch technology. Most folks prefer the SWM technology. With the SWM LNB's, they look that same but have one line coming out of them. They support up to 8 tuners. DVRs=2 tuners, Non Dvr's = 1 tuner.
    But they don't support older technology boxes.

SWM is need for Whole Home Dvr Service if you use DECA technology.

It would help to know what set top boxes you have or plan to use to make the right choice. I don't want to get you crazy with all the technology terms so if you let us know what you have or intentions are, you can get some proper guidance.

10. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    Thanks for helping ot...

I just plan to use the our bedroom reciever at my cabin when we go there.. the model number of my reciever is H24-100.

11. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Interested in hearing what he says because he is totally wrong. All the HD that was on 110 and 119 was shut down months ago and most of it shut down years ago.

12. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If I were you, I would get the same type as you have on your house, so you dont have to reconfigure the receiver every time you move it. If you currently have a BBC on the back of your H24, then order the Slimline with a SL3. If you dont have a BBC on the back of your H24, then you probably have a SWM dish at home, and you would want the SL3SWM LNB.

While it doesnt matter, it makes it easier when camping if you dont have to reconfigure the receiver every time for a different setup.

13. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    thanks... I will see which ones are available. In anycase it sounds like any slim line will work.

14. Tech_1438

Tech_1438 Legend

Jun 1, 2008

+1

15. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    Hi Guys...

I got the SL3 multiswith dish a few days ago and tried to install it up at the cabin today.

I got the 101 and 103 satillites pretty easily but did not get the 99 sats. I then tried to adjust those "other dials" that seem to be fine tune adjustments to bring 99 in... no dice.

In the end I only ended up with 101...I could not even get 103 back.

Is there a trick to setting these up. I went on the internet and could not find a procedure. Any help would be appreciated...

Sorry for all questions about this over the last few months...I am determined to watch football in HD this fall at the cabin.

Thanks..

Hartwa

16. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    On 101, while watching the meter, turn the az knob (the bottom one) until the signal is about 40. Spin the dial to zero the knob. Turn it the other way until the signal comes up past the peak and back down to 40, counting the number of turns. Divide the number of turns in half, and turn it back that far.

Do the same thing for the upper knob.

Now you should be "zeroed in" on 101.

Switch to 99 or 103 (C)(CA) ... not one of the (S) sats.

Fine tune (very slowly), each knob to peak the HD signal.
    Repeat again.

Check the other HD satellite. Should be the same. If not, make sure you have the tilt set correctly (actually, check this first :)

17. ben4715

ben4715 AllStar

Jan 19, 2010
    Also, make sure that your mast is plum.

18. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    Thanks guys... will try after the rain.

19. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    This.

Also, if 101 is coming in great but 99 and 103 are not it could be something as simple as the tilt is off a few degrees. A lot of people concentrate on elevation and azimuth but forget the tilt. Only bother with those fine tuning dithering *after* you get at least a decently solid signal by adjusting elevation, azimuth and tilt.

Also, make sure you have the correct dish type selected in guided setup. Sounds simple but the wrong dish type selected could be the root of the problem.

20. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    Thanks for all the help...the rain is going to let up soon and I will give it a shot...

I re-read these instructions and I want to make sure I got it straight...

1) Make sure mast is plumb.
    2) set up on 101 as a normally would so with an old 18" round. Peak the signal and lock down the collar bolts.
    3) Turn the lower dialed knob until the 101 signal drops to about 40. Then spin the dial to 0 it.
    4) Turn is back the other way and count the number of turns it takes to get the signal to go from 40 to peak to back to 40. Go back half of these and set it. { Here do you mean turns with the ratchet or with the dial? }

5) Do the same with the elevation.

6) Fine tune the tilt.

7) check signal on all sats fine tune ..not on the (S) sats.

Good?