1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Tivo Firewire?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bdemz, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdemz

bdemz AllStar

Sep 18, 2002
    Will the new HD TIVO unit have firewire or a way to archive HD content?

Thanks

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Nope. No firewire on the HDTivo.

Moving to the Directv HD DVR forum.

3. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    Makes some of the Cable companies look good. Mine doesn't but some are now shipping boxes that include a firewire connection.

4. hongcho

hongcho AllStar

Mar 25, 2004
    Most of the cable HD DVRs currently deployed so far have only one tuner. I don't think people don't realize how inconvenient single tuner is.

Hong.

5. tomo_kun

tomo_kun New Member

Jan 31, 2004
    FireWire isnt that popular of an output right now. DishWire (Firewire) wont be active anyway. Besides, its forbidden to digitally extract files from the HDTiVo. You could just back them up the "old Fashoned" Way.

Tomo_kun of TiVoCommunity Forum (i had no idea dswallow was a mod here)

6. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Yep! Doug is da man around here. :)

BTW: Welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

7. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Many in Omaha are complaining that Cox Cable does not have the Fire wire turned on.

Also one point of logic (watching Star Trek and Spock).

Myself and others used to record many things on VHS, copied rented movies and recorded shows on TV.

If you have, think about it. How many times did you ever re-watch any?

Mostly I watch a Movie ONE time only, maybe a 2nd time 2-3 year later after I forgot what its about, there just too much to watch to see repeats.

Wire wire out is not something I need.

8. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    I agree with you Scott. Firewire output is useless to me at this time. I'll wait for a few years when HD DVD's become the standard for archiving. I looked at the D-VHS VCR's and just couldn't bring myself to buy one. It almost seems like a step back.

Right now, I archive all SD content to DVD. Archiving HD can wait. Besides, it's not like you can't make a pretty darn good animorphic DVD from HD content that's downconverted.

9. bdemz

bdemz AllStar

Sep 18, 2002
    What do I need to be able to do this?

Thanks

10. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    It's really quite easy. Download TMPGenc: http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

Capture the video in 480i letterbox format.

Open TMPGenc. Load the video using the project wizard.

Click next and select "Clip Frame".

Select "Resized image is used to display preview".

Use the "Top" and "Bottom" selections to clip off the black bars. This will create the anamorphic image.

Continue through and compress the video into MPEG.

When authoring the DVD, make sure the program you are using supports anamorphic.

That's it in a nutshell. I've left some steps out because a detailed explanation would depend on which DVD creation program you are using. Also there is a learning curve when using TMPGenc.

Just experiment first with a short movie to see if works and I will help you the best I can through the process. It's not really difficult once you figure it all out.

What's really cool is I've used this technique to transfer old letterbox laserdiscs to anamorphic DVD.

11. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    TMPGenc Dvd Author is handy...

12. bdemz

bdemz AllStar

Sep 18, 2002
    Thanks but how do I capture the HD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.