1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Upgrade question...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tgorle, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgorle

tgorle New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    I'm new to the forum, but an old timer when it comes to having DirecTV service.

I signed up on a free equipment promo deal about 10 years ago, and was sent a two receiver package and the original round dual LNB dish. The receivers are a Sony SAT B-50, and a Hughes HIRD-D01.

I've got a grandfathered Total Choice package that contains almost everything that the current "Choice Plus" offers for $15 less a month.

I'd like to upgrade to an HD receiver for my living room, and Costco is selling them for $69.

Questions:

1. Will DirecTV activate the HD receiver for $10 a month and allow me to keep my existing package?

2. Will HD service require a new dish and cable runs? (I've seen newer oval dishes with triple LNB's, so I'm guessing yes)

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    HD service will definitely require a new dish.

As to your programming, I don't know honestly but I suspect they're going to try to push you into a new package.

3. tgorle

tgorle New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Thanks Stuart.

Will the triple LNB "multi-satellite" oval dish have the same aiming coordinates as my old dish, or does the oval shape exist to pull signals from a spread of new satellites delivering the HD?

Concerned about trees...

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The dish you will need for HD is the 5-LNB. The LNB arm on that dish points toward the 101 satellite, same as the old round dishes. However, it must have a line of sight to 99, 101, 103, 110 and 119, so a bit to the east and a whole bunch to the west of the old round dish.

Carl

5. JackBikes

JackBikes AllStar

Feb 14, 2008
    Along these lines…. I have upgraded to HD with the DVR and yes you need a new dish. You will need the HD package too.

What I have is a Phillips SD receiver in my kitchen, but recently bought a HDTV for there too. (my main TV has the HD-DVR) I also want to get an HD receiver, (not DVR) for the kitchen too.

Should I just get a HD-DVR for the kitchen as well? Should I buy either one from Costco or DTV?

Thoughts? Jack

6. netconcepts

netconcepts Legend

Jan 20, 2007
    When D* upgraded me to the H20 and Slimline dish last August, they activated the H20 into my current plan. I still have the Total Choice Plus package today. I already had the HD Service and the triple LNB at the time as well.

7. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    I was able to keep my grandfathered package.

They had to relocate the new dish to avoid trees.

8. Blackhawk32

Blackhawk32 New Member

Feb 29, 2008

MountainMan, did they charge you to relocate your dish? i'm going to upgrade to 5-LNB dish and i want it relocated to different part of my roof.

thanks

9. tgorle

tgorle New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Thanks guys. I got ahold of an 18x20 Phase III multi-satellite for free and swapped out my old dish yesterday.

Does the new H21 receiver require the 5 LNB dish, or will it work with a Phase III?

I'm debating whether I should kill my basic cable I've used for locals all these years, and upgrade my package to the Choice Plus equivalent that now includes them... but, I just bought a new DVD recorder that provides all my local channels in Digital and HD as an unexpected bonus, so the basic cable is providing over 70 channels for about $14 a month, allowing high quality recording without monthly DVR fees... or the upfront DVR receiver lease fee...

Choices... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.