HD vs. SD

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by oldanbo, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldanbo

oldanbo Cool Member

May 20, 2004
    These sat and cab providers keep reaming us with extra charges for HD content. Get real, 4K is on the horizon and HD is pretty much the viewing standard. Watching SD content makes my eyes hurt.

It's a marketing ploy. How can we consumers, call their bluff and call it off?

2. mexican-bum

mexican-bum "Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Some"

Feb 25, 2006
    As much as I agree that HD should be the standard and free, 4K may still go the way of 3D. I hope not but its looking that way.... hardly any content and no way for providers to transmit it efficiently. A 4k movie won't even fit on a standard blu-ray disc right now....

3. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    One thing I have noticed that all HD sets are not created equally. Some have better pictures in SD than others. So many that are on the market at places like Costco and Best Buy look great in HD, but going to SD, the pq is horrible. Much much worse than any SD set I have ever seen. My sister in law has a Vizio 40 inch and the HD is great, but go to SD, the pq in bad. I have a 30" widescreen EDTV Toshiba CRT and SD looks really great if the bandwidth is used, like the OTA stations. KOIN CBS Portland has no sub channels and even in 480, the picture looks like a photograph. They use 1080i.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    A ton of people still have SD only systems....

With that said DIRECTV no longer charges new customers for SD or Hi Definition. It's all the same price now. So it is happening as it is.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    4k and 3d is such different animals. 4k is building up way faster than I expected. It's the next step of Hi Definition. It's no like 3d. And the content is being created way faster than even Hi Definition was. It will take some time to get the content to the customers with the fact that the customers will be able to actually see it when it does it is unlike HD for they had to go out and buy new stuff from scratch in the first place after the content was even available.

Also new schemes will come along to fix the whole content to the customer issue. We should see Blu-ray players with 4K by next Christmas.and DIRECTV is supposed to hav some 4k content soon somehow.

6. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I agree with you.
    What is going to kill 4K is the premium that all the providers are going to put on it.
    And I don't know of any network that puts out 4K .
    That will not be a fast transition.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    4K is NOT a big step. Most won't be able to tell the difference at normal viewing distances.
    And they don't have to go out and buy new stuff to take advantage of 4K?
    Sounds like all new stuff to me. DIRECTV offered lots (relatively speaking) of 3D at one time but now they don't offer much more than anyone else.

I see 4K as being a lot like SACD and High Fidelity Pure Audio. There will be titles but their appeal will be limited.

Resolution-wise, HDTV pretty much meets the demands of the Human eye. The carriers would be much better served to up their HD quality than to waste it on technology that few will use.

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Don't hold your breath for 4K anytime soon. It takes several times the bandwidth of current HD... and there is already a bandwidth issue for delivering consistent HD and still many channels with no HD feed and lots of customers using SD receivers.

As for the "calling the bluff"... the only way to do that is stop subscribing to pay TV. Enough people cancel, they might change their stance... unless you're willing to do that, everything else is just chatter... because it does cost more to deliver HD than SD, so if they can charge for it they will.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.