HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Rob37, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    It’s almost 2021 and for cryin’ out loud there should be NO channels left in Standard Definition. Every Channel should be broadcasting in High Def on DIRECTV by this date in time. What the heck is DIRECTV doing? Channels like C-Span should be in HD by now and they aren't. They are still only being broadcast in Standard Def. We are well past a few years now into the digital transition that took place. Standard TV reception is done. Why is DIRECTV still showing some channels in only Standard Def? They need to be showing every channel by now in High Def.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Current contract agreements between DIRECTV and content providers is one reason why some channels are only standard definition. Another reason why some channels are only standard definition is because there are no high definition feeds available.

Dishdude714, compnurd and longhorn23 like this.
  3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    This a joke right?

4. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    MPEG 2 is ending really soon on Directv.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    probably you are too young :p
    Initially all HD channels was using MPEG-2/H.262 compression and PQ was better than now
    [I have 007 marathon movie from those time]

6. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    All three C-SPAN channels have HD feeds. And didn't DirecTV sign an contact to get the remaining Starz Encore channels in HD as well?

Dishdude714 likes this.
  7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yeah ...

I'm pretty sure Joe means that specifically the MPEG-2 SD duplicate channels on the Ku DBS band is what will be eliminated soon. ..

There will assuredly still be some SD channels in "A3" format remaining on the Ka and possibly Reverse Bands. But the Ku band is scheduled to drop the old "DSS" format ones in the very near future of course.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DIRECTV has been saying that since long before the AT&T acquisition. The original plan was to do it through attrition; reasoning that exciting new hardware and content developments would be sufficiently compelling. The "soon" part of the most recent claim doesn't seem to jibe with the absence of subscribers whining about being offered upgrades or the door. Of course this doesn't account for the possibility that the hangers-on are commercial accounts.

The "KVH Memo" from June of 2018 said that DIRECTV would cease SD transmissions in mid 2019 but here we are over a year after that line-in-the-sand .

My theory is that a business decision was made that offering HD talking heads PI channels isn't worth the bandwidth of having both SD and HD feeds. The Starz! issue is difficult to fathom.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We have been hearing about the impending end of SD duplicates for years. :)
    SD can be transmitted in MPEG 4 ... I expect to see SD only channels for several more years (even channels that have HD feeds available to retransmit).

Yes, I agree that all channels that have a HD feed should be carried in HD - but I know that they won't all be carried in HD.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  10. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    And even in 2020 we still have many people for various reasons rather if it's budget or simply not wanting to upgrade their TV to HD sets that still rely on SD channels being available. Plus there will always be channels that run nothing but SD content around such as older TV shows that lack HD masters.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Of course there's no show-stoppers preventing these hard-core SDTV users from having their systems upgraded to modern equipment. They would probably need to use a cheap (<$5 cost in quantity) HDMI to composite converter to make the final connection to the customer's VCR or DVD-R.

The time for coddling is long past.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The time for keeping customers is present. Why do things to force customers off of your system when one is already having trouble maintaining customer count? There has to be a benefit for ending the service that will outweigh the customers lost.

Upgrading the customers to modern equipment costs money - taking working receivers and dishes out of service to replace them needs to be done for a greater reason than making HD snobs happy. :)

DISH converted many of their customers - delaying their own transition to make it more cost effective - they had a big reason to make that migration (moving from QPSK to 8PSK on most transponders to allow for more channels to be carried). AT&T|DIRECTV does not have the same needs. They have mirrored some channels on Ka which would allow them to leave 110 and 119 if desired - but that doesn't affect the vast majority of their customers.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  13. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    I think the reason cable-television providers have not upgraded all their carried programming to HD (meaning, all which have HD feeds) is due to the cost per subscriber.

I also think the downward trend in subscriber numbers is less motivating to make a point of more speedily upgrading programming lineup to full HD (as full as possible with those programmers with an HD feed).

14. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    1. It can substantially reduce costs associated with having to carry multiple feeds of the same program on different satellites.
    2. The number of channels in the database could be significantly reduced (there seems to be one or more limits here that is causing some troubles).
    3. A much narrower range of configurations would have to be supported by CSRs.
    4. They could move everything (including what few remaining international channels and any leased channels) to their 99W/101W/103W constellation.
    5. They may be able to move some of the most chronic rain fade LIL markets (or markets where the Ka beams aren't affording 100% coverage) to Ku.
    6. The remaining SD subscribers would have access to improved services and additional channels not available at 101W (and more extensive guide data, IIRC).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Dishdude714 likes this.
  15. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The deal here is that cable companies have to upgrade dozens of plants and a lot of installed hardware to make the availability happen system-wide.

In contrast, DIRECTV just needs to bring a fraction of their customers receivers and dishes up to something more recent than 10 years old.

16. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    No this is no joke. It is LONG past due that everything on DIRECTV’s Service should be in High Definition. LOOONG overdue. There shouldn't be one channel left still broadcasting in only Standard Def. If people haven't upgraded their sets by now, they’ll just have to get left behind.

17. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    You clearly don't understand how it works. If a station isn't available in HD, how can Directv carry it in HD?

TJNash, longhorn23 and compnurd like this.
  18. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yeh I don’t think he does

19. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Watch my fingers, I'm going to type slow for you. As I stated in post #2 current contract agreements between DIRECTV and content providers is one reason why some channels are standard definition only. So, unless the contract is "renegotiated" with the content provider DIRECTV "cannot" broadcast standard definition channels provided by the content provider in high definition. I also stated in post #2 that some channels are only standard definition is because "there are no high definition feeds available". Now, what part of this don't you understand? :rolleyes:

compnurd likes this.
  20. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Only have one thing to say....ATT&T. If they wanted to have all available HD channels they could. They DON'T care!!!!!