1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDCP Closure (for now anyway)!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Gerald Siemens, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Gerald Siemens

Gerald Siemens New Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Posted a few weeks ago regarding an issue with HDCP messages on my second TV set. I got advice from this forum to try a powered splitter. Just as a follow-up, I purchased a 1x2 Monoprice 15651 device and it is working perfectly for now. So thanks to all! Hopefully in the spring I will once again seek advice (now that I have ripped out all my huge HDMI cabling out of my house, I want to replace with Ethernet CAT6 TV distribution).

2. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Just use WiFi - get a really good WiFi router (I'm an Asus fan), and you should be OK.

3. Gerald Siemens

Sep 26, 2018
    Thank you very much for your "two cents" worth. I have heard of wireless distribution but isn't it very expensive? I assume in addition to the router, one would need the WiFi transmitter and several receivers (up to eight in my case). Has anyone reading this thread done such a thing; and able to share costs? Thanks for all your guys support!

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Not sure what Wilbur is talking about, I guess he doesn't realize HDMI uses WAY too much bandwidth to distribute over wifi. Might as well tell someone they can move all their furniture to their new house on a bicycle :)

I have one of the below which I'm using for about a 60' run over cat5e. It is spec'ed to up to 100' over cat6. They are unpowered, and small enough you could hide them in the wall box and just have HDMI out from the wall.

30M HDMI To RJ45 Network Cable Extender Converter Repeater Over CAT-5e CAT6 New 838242613067 | eBay

bmcleod likes this.
  5. Gerald Siemens

Sep 26, 2018
    Thanks so much for the information...amazing device you have there! I think I will give one a try; at least get the bedroom TV tied to my satellite receiver. The thing sells for $11 and I can pick up a 75' Cat6 patch cable for another $8. Worth a try.

6. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Using a powered HDMI splitter has always been the first solution to try