HDD Diagnostics for external drive?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JerryMeeker, Apr 26, 2019.

1. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I ran the HDD diagnostics on the HR54 this morning, and while it was running the drive activity LED on my external eSATA drive never registered that the drive was being accessed. This leads me to believe that the diagnostics is being run on the internal drive. Is this the case, and how can the external drive be checked?

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The diagnostics should check the active drive. I've never seen this question before. When you put an eSATA drive on an HR the internal drive does nothing AFAIK. But I don't use the diagnostics very much. I treat drives like I treat car batteries, if I have any doubts about them I get a new one.

Rich

3. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I am not having any issues with the drive. It was more out of curiosity that I initiated the diagnostics. While the utility reported that it was conducting the Smart Test by displaying the percent completed, the external eSATA was not showing that it was being accessed. I find this strange.

Rich likes this.
  4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I don't have any of the equipment being discussed
    but
    I have been in the diagnostics of my 24 and I thought that there was a separate line / option to choose for an external drive ?

5. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Not on the HR54.

jimmie57 likes this.