HDD failed effor 311

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Grampa67, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Grampa67

Grampa67 Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    I have one of the first 622's and up till now it has served me well. Yesterday it froze with a picture on the scren. Did a hard reboot and about 2 houres later it froze again. Did another hard reboot and when it was aquiring sats a notice appeared that the HDD failed. It said that you could continue to watch tv and had a continue button. Pressed the continue button and the HDD message poped up again. ( I dont see how you can watch tv with a bad HDD.) Pulled the plug for about 1 hour rebooted and everything NOW is working fine. My question is Has anyone had a HDD failure notice that never recured again.

2. MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network Member

Jan 6, 2011
    In my experience, it's very likely to come back, but every now and then it won't come back. My recommendation is to get an EHD to store recordings that you want to keep just in case the internal HDD does crash for good.

If it's still acting up, feel free to PM me and I can get you details on having a replacement sent out

3. satlover25

satlover25 Mentor

Jan 3, 2006
    I have the same issue and message, but several hard reboots have failed to yield the same results for me. I plan on calling customer service today. I had a HD fail on a 5 series in the past.

4. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    satlover25,

From what I read, you are still getting the 311 error message and the hard reset has not resolved the issue for you? If that message will not go away, the receiver does need to be replaced. You can call 1-800-333-3474 and speak with Tech Support or we can handle getting a replacement receiver sent to you (DIRT Team). You can PM your account information to us if you'd like. Thanks.

5. satlover25

satlover25 Mentor

Jan 3, 2006
    Thank you Ray. I did indeed speak with Tech Support (per the norm, they were very helpful...15+ years and running for me) the other day and a replacement box was shipped.

6. Larry the satellite guy

Larry the satellite guy Cool Member

Mar 26, 2007
    as a tech for 8 yrs, i can tell you i have never seen a rec.recover fully from a 311 error message.Anyone who gets this message,just might as well kiss it goodbye.

7. Grampa67

Grampa67 Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    It's been over a week now and working great :)

8. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    It's happened to me before (I'm on my 3rd 622 after 10 921's and 1 942). The last time it did recover, however if I tried watching a certain program off the DVR it froze again. Evidently the bad sectors were in one recording. Avoiding the bad recording meant having a working DVR. I probably could have gone on for some time by just avoiding the bad recording but I made the mistake of trying to delete the bad recording. I should have left it there. Getting 622#3 solved the problem. I'm now recording fewer programs (due in part to the cancellation of a daily program I was recording). I hope #3 will last longer (all my 622's have outlasted my 921's).

9. Grampa67

Grampa67 Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    I have had no more hard drive errors but the darn dvr is starting to record older programs when the timer is for new episodes.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    You should try run DST-2 (there is a sequence of remote control codes - someone posted here already) to be sure the drive will not die soon.

11. Grampa67

Grampa67 Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    Is the recording wrong episodes due to the hard drive?

12. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    quote Grampa67 "Is the recording wrong episodes due to the hard drive?"

that is most likely either
    1) a guide listing problem (ie episodes listed without episode number are default recorded as new)
    or
    2) you need to delete your all your timers and re-enter them.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    Did you try DST-2 ?

And yes, your schedules is a file on the drive.

14. Grampa67

Grampa67 Legend

Mar 14, 2005

I deleted several timers and re_entered them and that seems to be the problem. 58 more to go......

Thanks

15. Grampa67

Grampa67 Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    1. Im getting to old to play games.

2. (If errors are found it may format the hard drive! )

Not worth it.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    You are sitting on 'quick sand' - the drive can die tomorrow and all your records will gone in a minute. If you care about them - get EHD and move those out.
    Then run DST-2 and make right[informed] decision: replace the DVR or continue use it.

17. Grampa67

Grampa67 Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    My drive finally died. This is the conversation with dish. It appears they are still in india.

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...

Welcome to DISH Network Chat.

Rajesh (ID: ZDF): Hello Rob.

Rajesh (ID: ZDF): How may I help you today?

rob: My 622 just died . Hard drive failure. I would like to do an upgrade

Rajesh (ID: ZDF): I’m sorry to hear that you are having an issue. I’d be happy to resolve that for you.

rob: I would like to do an upgrade

Rajesh (ID: ZDF): Let me check that for you.

Rajesh (ID: ZDF): Can you please describe exactly what is on the television screen now? If there is an on screen message, please include the 3 digit number found in the top right corner.

rob: I am passed that. we now have a picture BUT NO HARD DRIVE AS IT HAS FAILED

Rajesh (ID: ZDF): Have you experienced any severe weather, moved any of the equipment, or noticed any other changes that may have caused this problem? :confused: