1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD recommendations for owned HR20-700

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bills976, Mar 28, 2013.

1. bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    I'm looking to do this to my owned HR20-700 and have a few questions...

1) Any general recommendations on HDD brands? The consensus seems to be to avoid Seagate and that WD is the way to go. Does that seem right to folks who have upgraded their drives and have a few years of service under their belts?

2) What's the stock speed on the disk shipped in these boxes? 5400RPM or 7200RPM? My HR20 is a tad slow since the UI got updated (though nowhere near as bad as some of the 21/22/23 boxes I've seen)... so I am curious if upgrading the hard drive would help with this (i.e. from 5400 to 7200 or perhaps a velociraptor), or if the bottleneck is elsewhere. The flip side here is that I don't want to increase heat if I don't have to, so I'm just curious what people's experience is.

Thanks!

2. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Replaced a (bad) WD10EURS from my owned HR34 and replaced it with a 2TB version of the same thing.
    So if DirecTV puts a 5400 rpm drive in a DVR that can record 5 tuners plus a VOD at a time, while serving multiple MRV streams I don't think you have to worry about what you use with an HR20-700.
    A 7200 rpm drive is definitely not necessary. I guess that you could use one if you had it handy but I wouldn't buy one for DVR purposes.

3. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'd take a close look at the capacitors in the power supply section. A lot of HR20's have been reported to have swollen capacitors (an indicator of likely failure in the near future). If the tops seem domed, it may not be a good idea to expect it to keep running much longer.

4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I go with Seagate and avoid WD. It's all about preference really. The only HR I'm using a WD drive on is my HR24-500 and that's because a Seagate wouldn't work with eSATA on it.

As far as rpm's go, if the 5400rpm is cheaper then go with it. You're gaining nothing by going with 7200rpm.

5. Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth Administrator Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 6, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
    I'm using a 2TB Western Digital Red drive in my HR21-100. Has worked great for several months now. The red is a newer drive, but is supposedly designed for NAS applications where the drive is basically in constant use. I figured that couldn't hurt and decided to try it out. I bought from Amazon, and the price has gone up to about $120 now. The 2TB version of the drive dettxw listed (WD20EURS or WD AV-GP 2 TB AV Hard Drive) is about 10 bucks cheaper now. I would think either would be a good choice for a DVR.

6. Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth Administrator Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 6, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
    I've felt the same way about Seagate and WD for years when it comes to PCs. Not sure why I decided to go WD Red on my DVR this time. I think the only hard drive I've ever had fail on me was a WD drive. But when I switched brands, it seems I really made the switch... My home server has an old WD 320GB drive for the system, 2 3TB WD Reds for my storage, and a 1 TB WD Green drive (my girlfriend's backup) that I had to buy at Best Buy as an emergency replacement for the one drive I had fail. I've actually got a 1TB Hitachi that has always been rock solid and a 1 TB Seagate sitting here doing nothing at the moment...

7. RBTO

RBTO Legend

Apr 11, 2009
    I went with Western Digital 1TB some years back in my HR20-100, and it's been working fine ever since. I think either WD or Seagate are good drives, although you can always come across a dead one with any brand. They ship well but I think shipping can be responsible for some of the bad drives reported. Hard drives don't take dropping all that well, though when the head is parked, they survive some pretty good shocks.

8. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I've had drives from both manfacturers fail but where Seagate earned my money was their replacement plan. In warranty drives I pay $10 and have a replacement in a day or 2 along with packaging and a prepaid return label for the bad drive. WD is a week, sometimes more, and you pay your own return shipping.

9. bills976

Jun 30, 2002
    Thanks for the tip on the capacitors. I cracked open the box tonight and didn't notice any that looked damaged (though there were a few where the connectors seemed excessively twisted). The box's manufacture date was 7/2007 so it wasn't one of the earlier units... perhaps that helped.

After reading about some of the capacitor issues here, your post is now making me lean more towards eSATA given that the heatemitted by an internal HDD can't help things. I had a older, spare drive laying around along with a cheap, flimsy enclosure, and decided to try unplugging the internal drive and plug that one in. Worked like a charm... and the box is nowhere near the 129F it was reporting while in use (though the 32F it is reporting now is completely bogus).

I'm thinking I'll make an investment in a good enclosure and a quiet drive. I only have one TV and use OTA, so frankly I'd rather baby the HR20 and keep it as long as I can rather than upgrading to an HR24 and having to pay for an AM21.

Thanks again!

10. jes

jes Icon

Apr 20, 2007
    I have an internal 2T WD AV-GP WD20EURS in my HR20-100. It's quieter than the original and IMHO, most importantly, designed for 24/7 A/V use...

WD AV-GP info

11. bills976

Jun 30, 2002
    I ended up getting the WD20EURS from Newegg - $94.99 on sale. Very nice upgrade - so far this evening the drive has been really quiet and seems to be significantly cooler than the stock drive. I'm also noticing a lot less thrashing on disk which has seemed to slightly improve performance...

Thanks guys!

12. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    :)

IMO WD20EURS is the best have one for my HR24-100 working well almost a year now.

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I've mated my HR20-700 to EADS drives, EVDS drives, and EURS drives....they all have worked flawlessly.

14. Whiskey River

Whiskey River Mentor

Apr 7, 2009
    I put in a Hitachi/WD 2TB 7200RPM Deathstar/Deskstar, over a year ago, cloned the old drive with all 98 Episodes of Startrek Enterprise from HDnet. still working good. Had a 300GB shetgate in there before. Another year and IBM-HITACHI will be called WD, as they purchased the drive division.

15. cory799

cory799 New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I have tried the wd20eurs 2 tb av-gp.I tried it both ways external and internal. External I didn't use an enclosed case..would it make a difference if I did use one? Plz help I have a directv hr21-200

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    What enclosure did you put it in then? Or in other words, how did you connect an internal drive externally to your HR21?

17. cory799

cory799 New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I used sata to esata cable..and a power cord..the hard drive is bare.. I did order a new sata to esata cable I went with siig I was reading a lot on the forums..I just don't get it when I put the drive internal why it wouldn't format it..thanks for the reply s keep them coming..I am a newbie need all the help I can get

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    bare SATA drives has SATA, not eSATA connector !

19. jes

jes Icon

Apr 20, 2007
    ... and the HR21 has an eSATA connector on the back, correct? :D

20. cory799

cory799 New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    You are right it has sata and direct tv has esata