1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDDVR Power Usage Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mrfatboy, Aug 20, 2010.

1. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    I used a Kill-A-Watt power meter to measure the power usage of my HR23. It used 23-25 watts no matter if it was OFF, ON, SD RECORDING, HD RECORDING.

My old Replaytv would power down the hard drive and park it when it was off (standby) and only use 5 watt.

Why bother to turn it off? I can only guess that "live buffering" is turn off when the actual DVR power is off this saving wear and tear on the hard drive. Correct?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Yes, plus some housekeeping processes, like gathering guide data, etc.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It still buffers while turned "off."

4. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    I might as well leave them on. That would be one less thing to worry about with the remote control. Plus I noticed lately when I turn on my TV and HR24 (using a macro) there is no sound. When I cycle the power of both again it works fine. I'm thinking it's a HDMI issue.

5. dyker

dyker Legend

Feb 27, 2008
    Programmers could figure out how to wake them up for housekeeping tasks when they aren't scheduled to record or aren't "on". I often think "it's only a couple bucks and watts a year" but let's say these HR boxes could sleep for 50% of the time at 5W. I know in my house, they could probably sleep 75% of the time. Given how many HR boxes are actually out there across the country, I wonder as a whole how much carbon emissions would be reduced (and aggregate $ saved by customers). When I had a home-built DVR (local HD) I had it set up to sleep when not in use.

If D* made some programming changes and allowed the boxes to sleep, they could market themselves as the most friendly to the environment.

6. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    In San Diego, where electricity is expensive (~$0.17 kilowatt) an HR2x box cost me $37 a year in power costs.

Watts x Hours Used x Cost per kilowatt-hour
    -------------------------------------------- = Total Cost

7. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    They also push VOD PPV out to the boxes as well.

8. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I turn my R22 off (remove AC power from it) during the day when my time-of-use electricity rate is almost $0.25 per kWh. The box doesn't seem to mind it at all and now that the guide is cached I find no reason to leave it running when it isn't doing anything useful.

Oh, and I've been doing this for TWO YEARS now for those of you who are waiting to post about "corrupted data" or "shortened hard drive life". I've experienced no "corrupted data" and the hard drive seems to be chugging along just fine.

PS: I do the same to my 2 R15's. One of them was manufactured in 2005 along with the hard drive and it too is still chugging along just fine!!

9. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    So it would cost you $54.75 a year to have the DVR turned on 24/7. By your post I'm assuming that you unplug it before you go to work so I'm guessing 8 hours a day unplugged. That would be a 33% reduction saving you $18 a year. Finalizing the math, you are saving $0.0495 (Let's call it 5 cents :) ) a day by unplugging your DVR.

I give you props for trying to go Green :) but I don't think it's worth it :)

It reminds me of that old joke that it's not worth Bill Gates time to stop and pick up a found $100 bill in the street :)

10. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Never make assumptions.

I lost my job so I don't go to work anymore. Every DIME counts.

It is unplugged (actually switched off using a slick device that plugs in the wall and the DVR plugs into it) for TWELVE hours per weekday.

It would suck .3 kWh per day if I didn't turn it off, or 6.6 kWh per month (assuming 22 on-peak weekdays per month). I have 3 DVR's so this would be 19.8 kWh per month. Doing the math, that comes to $4.95 per month saved so guess what? I get one DirecTV receiver FREE each month simply by flipping a few switches!

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Wouldnt a home made solar panel, cheap 90W inverter, and an gel cell battery from a discarded UPS supply enough power during the day to run your DVR? Down south here, where its over 100 every day, my A/C sucks enough power the grid doesnt even notice my DVR's :)

12. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    My A/C is never run during the on-peak period. I use about 3-4 kWh during the 12 hour on-peak period. But then 7PM rolls around and the A/C comes on, the DVR's come on, the washer/dryer comes on, the dishwasher comes on, the...well you get the picture! :D

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    We dont have a peak/off peak here. Its all the same 10 cents/kwh (love that atomic plant up the highway). There is NO WAY you could turn off your A/C unit here during the day unless you didnt have any pets, and no one was at home. My unit tripped off last week, and in the two hours it was off, my house went from 77 degrees to well over 90. Outside it was 102.

When I grew up in Mukwonago, Wisc, we didnt even have an A/C unit, so I can understand how you could get away with not running it during the day. I make up for it in the winter when I can turn my heater off during the day and let the sunshine coming in the windows keep the house warm :)

14. Blaze

Blaze Legend

Jun 9, 2010

Why Complain about your Power usage, you should start complaining about the Directv bill Increase coming up i can guarantee you that.

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    What bill increase? You talking about the one all the providers have every February, or did I miss something?

16. Blaze

Blaze Legend

Jun 9, 2010
    I was thinking about Decreasing my service because of the upcoming increase,what i was told it should be a 4-5% increase. That will put me over $100 per month hell no.....

17. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Hell no? If you get that upset at an additional $4-$5 per month what happens when the gas goes up 20 cents a gallon?

I get tired of the increases as well but ALL providers have them. Plus if it's 4-5% it's usually $3-$5 in additional monthly expense. That's one less Subway footlong, 2 less beers at the bar a month, or 1 less pack of smokes (if I smoked) a month. I think I can make a very small sacrifice if I need to re-allocate my spending to afford the additional $5 Direct TV expense.

18. Blaze

Blaze Legend

Jun 9, 2010

Remember that 5% on a $100 bill is a $5 increase some peoples Directv bill is $180 that's a $9 increase...

When is enough enough? when your bill goes to $200 per month?

I Remember when i started out 14 yrs ago my bill was $47 per month now its $100 that's a $57 increase in 13 yrs.

Now on the other hand my home land line in 30 yrs went up $5.....

19. xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    Your home land line hasn't made many state of the art improvements or upgrades in that 30 years, either :) (well, caller ID I'll grant you is an improvement...)

And yeah, I'd have to say I agree on the yearly increases. When will it hit a cap, at least for a while?

20. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Yes, if my bill goes from $105 to $200 because of a price increase then enough will be enough. I can afford a $5 increase and I would suspect that people with a bill at $180 can afford a $9 increase. People that pay almost $200 for television should have a few extra dollars laying around for an increase. Now I totally agree with you that I don't like increases but I'm not moaning and groaning like you (saying HELL NO). If you feel that way, then cancel your service. It's really that simple.

By the way, I remember 14 years ago gasoline was less than a $1.00 per gallon and now it's almost $3.00. I also remember how much my salary was 14 years ago compared to today. All things are relative and your television viewing is for entertainment....if you don't like the price increases then CANCEL your service.