HDMI Audio Not Working (sometimes video)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Skarzon, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Skarzon

Skarzon AllStar

Oct 2, 2006
    Hi All,

Sorry for the length, but please bear with me here, lots going on...Long standing issue that keeps popping up. The audio from D* intermittently stops working and I am unable to get it to restore. More rarely, the video does not work and I get an HDCP error from the STB. Please note that these issues do not happen when using the BluRay, Chromecast or network connections through the AVR (hooked up on different HDMI inputs).

This issue has occurred off and on for several years, with many different setups (Different STB, AVR, TV, Cables...even have a whole new dish run in a new house) and it just keeps coming back. I am fairly certain it is caused by the HDMI Handshake and HDCP wonderment, but it may be Dolby Digital as well. The audio just randomly does not initiate.

This usually happens after I power up my setup, but it can happen when changing channels or starting a recording.

Video usually works (this issue has been much better with the Sony than the Samsung LN46B650), but it will sometimes not initiate when viewing HDCP content (usually from Premiums - live or recorded) and I get the "your TV does not support this program's content protection" error message (D* tech support said this was not possible as the HDCP error should always happen and they had never heard of it being intermittent).

Note that the Video issue has not occurred (as expected) when using component cables on one of the segments as the HDCP is HDMI only, I believe.

Also, the HDCP error does not occur when the STB (HR44-700) is directly connected to the TV. I've tried to use alternate audio (optical and AV cable) coupled with HDMI video and it will work for non-HDCP content, but produces the HDCP error every time I tune to a premium channel or premium channel recording (or other HDCP content as I'm sure this is working as intended).

Please see below for the troubleshooting I have done. I'm at wits end and really need some DBSTalk assistance :)

Current Gear:
    HR44-700

Yamaha RX-V671
    Sony Bravia KDL48W600B (will be replaced soon)

Wiring:
    HDMI from STB -> AVR -> TV

Have tried:
    HDMI with optical from STB -> AVR then HDMI the TV

HDMI with AV from STB -> AVR then HDMI the TV (always get HDCP error for premium content, expected)

Component with optical from STB -> AVR then HDMI to the TV

Component with AV from STB -> AVR then HDMI to the TV (solid for couple months)

Have not tried Component with optical/AV: STB -> AVR and Component to the TV as this will cause serious Wife agro due to bulky cables

Component seems to be more stable, but the audio issue re-occurred again last night. Of course using component cables means no 1080p, but I can live with that if it would just work correctly all the time (at least until I get a 4K TV).

(Please note that I have also swapped out new HDMI cables on every segment, alternated HDMI inputs on the AVR and I am not trying to copy anything or the like and am only trying to use the STB to output to a single TV)

Details:
    When the audio stops working, it is normally during power up. The audio just will not initiate (the AVR will not show any speakers as active). Once this occurs, there is almost no fixing it. RBR has been the most successful means of fixing, but it is not 100% (not ideal and can't usually be done right away due to active recordings). Power up sequences have not helped, component cables solved the problem and was working solid for a couple months until last night.

The audio can also fail when changing channels or starting a recording.

I have heard that using Dolby Digital can affect this issue and have disabled it in the STB settings but it hasn't seemed to help. I bring this up because last night was a bit different and I noticed some new variables.

My son was watching an SD channel without DD (can see this under the info -> audio/video, it will just say "English" rather than "English Dolby Digital"). Everything was working fine until we changed the channel to an HD channel with Dolby Digital audio. Upon changing channels, the audio stopped working. When I went back to the SD channel, audio was working, but again did not work when going back to the HD DD channel. I confirmed that DD was disabled on the STB and still no audio on the HD DD channels. I then enabled all SD channels in the guide and the audio worked on all SD channels, but still did not work on any HD DD channels.

I then went directly to from the STB to the TV and the issue persisted (HDMI using TV Speakers). Audio on SD channels continued to work and still no audio on HD DD channels. Changing the Dolby Digital setting in the STB had no effect.

RBR did fix the issue this time, so I reset my connections back to an all HDMI setup (was running component from STB -> AVR) to verify the SD vs HD DD audio issues that happened last night (and also because this is the setup I will NEED - all HDMI - when I move to 4K). My theory is that the audio issue has more to do with Dolby Digital than the long running HDMI handshake issues (maybe they are related?), but I need a sanity check and some help verifying that I am doing everything I can.

Even if my theory is correct, not sure what good it will do. D* hasn't been much help, even when getting through to the back line tech people. Would hate to have to change providers, but this seems to be an issue many D* customers have experienced (google search shows many instances without much progress toward resolution- search for HDMI, HDCP or Dolby Digital with D* all show the same type of problem). D* isn't the only provider with these issues, but it is the common denominator with my issues.

I think I am getting to the bottom of it, but what can I do with my findings? Any other suggestions on what I can do?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I have my HR24 hooked up with Component cables to the TV from the STB and an optical cable from the STB to the Yamaha AV receiver ( it is old and does not have HDMI connections ).
    This should work flawless.

Have you checked to see if there is an update to your Yamaha ?
    Have you checked the settings in the Yamaha for the Audio and Video ?

My son has one almost the same model as yours and he runs an HDMI to the TV from the STB and an Optical cable from the STB to the AV receiver. This works flawless also.

3. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    What happens (when connected all HDMI) when you lose sound - Have you tried (cycleing) through the AVR dolby setting - Example Dolby -ex - as so forth any change?

4. Skarzon

Skarzon AllStar

Oct 2, 2006
    Component to the TV is a no go due to the size of the cables (wife will not like), plus, I'll be getting a 4K TV that will require HDMI all the way at some point.

The Yamaha is on the latest firmware (1.6) and I've worked through all the settings (worked with Yamaha support's help for a couple weeks).

Tried optical out from the TV, but most TV's don't output 5.1 via optical, mine apparently is one that does not as well. Only 2 channel stereo.

Sound doesn't stop while viewing a program, only when powering on (simply doesn't work) or when changing channels or starting a recording. I have changed the AVR audio settings (Dolby and others) to no avail. Last night I even took the AVR out of the equation and it still did not give audio when the STB was direct to the TV...

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Well if that's the case it points to the STB - If a Reset - Clears it or when you power it's an might be an example of an inverted bit (handshake) issue I'm sure your using HDMI control and have it set in the HR-44 as well as the AVR?.

(example) My HR-22 Stop sending DD Connected HDMI to AVR -then Sony TV - everything else Sent DD - I did a search on Clearmybox on the HR22 and Now it's back to sending DD to AVR.

You might try Doing that search from menu on the HR44 if that doesn't work - I call and have it replaced.

*Note- Using a UPS on your System Can save a lot of HDMI issues like your having - Loss of power (when your not home to witness it) can play havoc with your stuff. I run all my TV's AVR's & Such through a UPS it's saved me a lot of grief over the years -YMMV

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    HDMI from HR44 to the TV
    and
    The optical out is from the HR44 to the Yamaha, not from the TV.

7. Skarzon

Skarzon AllStar

Oct 2, 2006
    Very interesting, what all does a Clearmybox search clear?

I've used HDMI control in the past, but it was causing issues between my old Sammy TV and the Sammy BluRay (which should work better with same manufacturer and why I went Sammy on the BluRay). Might turn it back on now though.

8. Skarzon

Skarzon AllStar

Oct 2, 2006
    When I do this, the HDCP kicks in and will not let me watch any HDCP content (premiums or premium recordings as an example). Same thing happens with AV cable instead of Optical...This may be a HR44 "feature".

9. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    In playing with some of the receivers/DVS/clients, they have demonstrated audio loss when powering up, or changing channel, or ending a Whole Home stream on the coax/optical outputs while the HDMI output has been stable. This has normally been a firmware introduced situation that slips through and gets fixed in subsequent firmware updates.

Your HDCP errors are a bit more troublesome to me and I STRONGLY encourage you update the firmware on your Yamaha. In the early days I had major HDMI handshaking issues with all of my Yamaha equipment course this was 2005-2006 era equipment and it had improved after that. My Z11, RX-V3800, RX-v3900 all have been trouble free in that regard but . . . Who is to say what may have been introduced in later builds?

Don "sunspots! That's your issue" Bolton

10. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    It's the same thing as Double (red button reset) does - It will Flush the guide & Reload the current additional software from the sat. -

Your Current Sony should have HDMI vontrol as well -turn it on -even if it says Brava :)

I use a Sony 70" -ONKYO 606- Hr22 Setup and have it turned on - I power up the Hr22 -Then the sony Powers up and looks for (external speakers) onkyo and fires up the Onkyo.

The Hr44 has HDMI control setting as well (menu) setting- I also have a HR44-22- Sony 1040 & Sony 52" working the same with no audio issue.

AS Suggested - Connect your AVR to the internet (if it isn't already) and look for a firmware update

11. Skarzon

Skarzon AllStar

Oct 2, 2006
    Going to turn on HDMI control and see if that helps. The AVR is on the latest and greatest firmware (1.6) and is connected to the internet.

In regards to the Clearmybox reset, will that affect active recordings? Sounds like it's the same as a software reset from the box?

12. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Yes- Anything Active it will Dump it Do when your NOT recording - It will rebuild your to do list on reload - but it will take Awhile and your guide will take 24 -48 hrs to rebuild out to 2 weeks- SO do it when your not recording or going to record within the next one hour

One red button reset -Does NOT flush the Guide fully or reload additional software -that's the difference.

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Since the problem only manifests when the AVR is in play, the AVR seems the likely culprit. Whether it is delaying the response from a pokey TV or it is just bungling the whole handshake process, you should consider starting there.

Dancing around DIRECTV's somewhat perplexing implementation of content protection is a whole other issue.

14. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you are getting HDCP errors when connected directly to the TV from the HR44 I would suspect the TV is not capable of it.
    Have you checked for updates for the TV ?

15. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Turn on Hdmi control everywhere first-Then turn everthing off and then on to see if it works right - Then see what happens before the clearmybox thing

16. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Not to argue - but OP said it happened when connected direct to the tv excluding the avr

17. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    HDMI from the HR44 to the TV, and optical audio from the HR44 to the Yamaha would be your best bet of fixing this.

As Jimmie57 said if using HDMI directly from the HR44 to the TV results in an HDCP error on the screen you have an issue with one of your components. Either the HR44 or the TV has something screwed up with their HDMI inputs. Optical (nor analog) audio can not cause an HDCP error. Have you unplugged both your TV and Genie after hooking them up this way (or preferably they were unplugged when you hooked up the HDMI cable)?

One other thing you can try is making sure you have native turned off, and only have 1080i/1080p resolutions selected in your settings on the Genie. This helps cut down on the handshakes the components have to make.

18. Skarzon

Skarzon AllStar

Oct 2, 2006
    Every time I try to go HDMI from the HR44 with an alternate Audio setup (either Optical or AV to the AVR) I get HDCP error on Premium channels and recordings (works fine on non-premium HD channels). If I unplug the audio the HDCP error goes away by switching channels and coming back, but it still doesn't fix the audio issue if it is occurring. Think this is a "feature" of HDCP on the HR44 unless someone can test it on their system and prove that it might just be my HR44.

Have had native turned off since this happened and only have selected 1080i or 1080i and 1080p. Might have helped some, but issue keeps coming back.

If the issue is occurring (no audio) and I hook the STB directly to the TV via HDMI it will continue to exhibit the same behavior (no audio through the TV speakers either). As of last night, I figured out that the "no audio" issue is only on HD channels with Dolby Digital (or at least DD listed in the guide info, which appeared to be all HD channels).

I think the handshake issue is the right track, and hoping that HDMI control with the new set will prove out to be a better solution than with the Samsung TV.

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Somewhere in the long-winded oration (paragraph 6?), I saw something about the HDCP error not occurring when the HR44 was connected directly to the TV. I jumped on that -- perhaps to the exclusion of other information that was scattered amongst the pages.

Something I've noticed of late is that when problems like this pop up, an HR44 is typically involved. I suppose other models might be similarly problematic if they demanded HDCP all the time. The Genie Minis have some of the same problems but seemingly (to me) without the intermittent incidence.

20. Skarzon

Skarzon AllStar

Oct 2, 2006
    Apologize again for the length, just wanted to give history of what I have tried so far...

For me, the issue started with an HR34 and continues with the HR44. I'm sure it's a combination of the HDMI Handshake and HDCP demands fuggering up the Dolby Digital signal.